Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#286 Post by mousethief » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:06 pm

falty411 wrote:Isnt it about time that "The World Champion" DJ Peter Loggins gets a yehoodi guest spot?
Sweet Jesus yes - if he wants one.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Matthew

#287 Post by Matthew » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:53 pm

Will somebody be posting the set list for this show?

JesseMiner

#288 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:32 am

My apologies for posting this a day early, but I am heading up to SONH today and am not liking going to have any internet access while there.

September Thursday Guest DJ: Lucy Falkner (Vancouver, B.C.)

DJ Lucy Falkner hails from Vancouver, B.C. and is our September guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Lucy:

"Lucy Falkner DJs in her hometown of Vancouver, B.C. and around the Pacific Northwest, as well as making the occasional trip beyond her neighbourhood, to Sweden, Toronto, and New York. It was during her preparation for and brief set at the Harlem Jazz Dance Festival 2003 that she developed a greater appreciation for the music that inspired the pioneers of Lindy Hop, and this music now dominates her sets, though she still makes forays into modern, and sometimes goofy, territory. Facing the diverse needs and preferences of many styles and skill levels in her home scene, Lucy strives to strike a balance between the joy and comfort of the familiar and the glory and challenge of the unknown."

August Friday Producer's Picks: Yehoodi Radio Salutes Count Basie

Count Basie is a legendary musician, needing no introduction, and this year marks his 100th birthday. Yehoodi will be honoring him with The Basie Centennial Ball during Y6A in October, but since he is my swinging idol, I went one step further preparing seven hours of my favorite Basie material for your listening and dancing pleasure. Hear him joined by greats like Joe Williams, Jimmy Rushing, Ella Fitzgerald, Joe Turner, Oscar Peterson and The Mills Brothers. To get you ready for the Ball, I have also added an hour of material featuring some of the special guest musicians who will be performing: Barbara Morrison, Clark Terry, Junior Mance, Irene Reid and Dennis Rowland (watch for the * next to their tracks). Listen to the great music of Count Basie every Friday this month on Yehoodi Radio.

Enjoy!

Jesse

wheresmygravy

#289 Post by wheresmygravy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:57 am

Nice show, Lucy! I'm liking it a lot.

laf

#290 Post by laf » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:25 am

It was fun putting the Yehoodi show together, though a little odd not having the dancers influence my choices. But that meant I could just throw all my favourite stuff together pretty much any old way I wanted. I tend to be a pretty impulsive dj, so this list would have been different had I made it a month ago and it would be a different a month from now. Whatever my favourite stuff right now, that's what dominates for a while, then it settles into the mix with a little more moderation, and meanwhile I re-discover old favourites.
So I find on the following list a lot by my current crushes, Eddie Condon and Sidney Bechet, as well as old favourites, Armstrong, Webb and Basie (plus some of my favourite non-swing playthings). Also a lot of blues, the slow and the fast variety.

Thanks, Jessie, for the opportunity to play.

1. Yes Indeed - Tommy Dorsey
2. All The Cats Join In - Benny Goodman
3. The Glory Of Love - Count Basie
4. Stompin’ At The Savoy - Chick Webb
5. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot - Tommy Dorsey
6. St Louis Blues - Louis Armstrong
7. Savoyagers’ Stomp - Louis Armstrong
8. Feedin’ The Bean - Count Basie
9. Rusty Dusty Blues - Count Basie
10. On Revival Day - La Vern Baker
11. The Gal From Joe’s - Duke Ellington
12. Baby, Won’t You Please Come Home - Sidney Bechet
13. Twelfth Street Rag - Louis Armstrong
14. After All - Toshiyuki Honda (composer) from Metropolis (Metoroporisu, 2001) soundtrack
15. 9:20 Special - Oscar Peterson
16. You Make Me Feel So Young - Oscar Peterson
17. Lil’ Dog - Buddy Johnson
18. Jumpin’ At The Deuces- Slam Stewart
19. On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Chick Webb w/ Taft Jordan
20. Get Happy - Eddie Condon
21. Stompy Jones - Sidney Bechet
22. Who Ya Hunchin’? - Chick Webb
23. Sugar Foot Stomp - Louis Armstrong
24. Sugar - Eddie Condon
25. Baby Doll - La Vern Baker
26. Uncle Sam’s Blues - Eddie Condon
27. Downtown Uproar - Duke Ellington
28. Harlem Congo - Chick Webb
29. No More Love - Buddy Johnson w/ Ella Johnson
30. Lavender Coffin - Lionel Hampton
31. St Louis Blues - Sidney Bechet
32. Don’t Leave Me Daddy - Eddie Condon
33. Topsy - Count Basie
34. Spinnin’ The Webb - Chick Webb
35. Killin’ Myself - Duke Ellington w/ Ivie Anderson
36. Rock It For Me - Chick Webb w/ Ella Fitzgerald
37. On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Count Basie w/ Ella Fitzgerald
38. On The Way Up - Johnny Hodges
39. Something’s Got A Hold On Me - Etta James
40. It’s Your Thing - Shirley Scott
41. Jones - Duke Ellington
42. E & D Blues - Duke & Ella
43. Wild Man Blues - Sidney Bechet
44. Madame Dynamite - Eddie Condon
45. Potato Head Blues - Louis Armstrong
46. Fish Market - Roy Eldridge
47. A Mellow Bit Of Rhythm - Andy Kirk
48. Darktown Strutters’ Ball - Jack Hylton Orchestra
49. It Don’t Mean A Thing - Duke w/ Ivie Anderson
50. Go Harlem - Chick Webb
51. As Long As I Live - Eddie Condon
52. Memphis Blues - Louis Armstrong
53. Preaching The Blues - La Vern Baker
54. Danny’s All-Star Joint - Rickie Lee Jones
55. Wolverine Blues - Eddie Condon
56. Beau Koo Jack - Louis Armstrong
57. Georgia Cake Walk - Eddie Condon
58. Let ‘er Go - Artie Shaw
59. Take It From The Top - Chick Webb
60. I Can’t Stop Loving You - Count Basie
61. Old Man Blues - Sidney Bechet
62. At Sundown - Artie Shaw
63. The Sheik - Willie Bryant
64. The Late Late Late Show - Count Basie
65. What Is This Thing Called Love? - Ella Fitzgerald
66. Let’s Fall In Love - Louis Armstrong & Oscar Peterson
67. If You Want To Be Happy (Get An Ugly Girl To Marry You) - Harry Belafonte
68. Opus Two - Buddy Johnson
69. Bugle Call Rag - Eddie Condon
70. Fare Thee Well, Deacon Jones - Lucky Millinder
71. Jubilee Swing - Chick Webb
72. Breakin’ ‘em Down - Chick Webb
73. Blue Skies - Ella Fitzgerald
74. Take The A-Train - Duke & Basie
75. West End Blues - Louis Armstrong
76. Lean On Me - The Total Experience Gospel Choir

Zot

#291 Post by Zot » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:04 pm

Hey Lucy, nice set!

Danny’s All-Star Joint -- one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite albums ever. I wanted to marry Rickie Lee Jones for a while there in my 20s. I never really thought about using it for Lindy Hoppers until you mentioned it, though. I think I'll give it a try!
"Take the worst of neo-swing and put it together with Glen Miller. The man thinks the Count is someone from a horror flick. Take pity on him and let him play two or three tunes. But be sure you have some errands to run." -- Bill Borgida

Nate Dogg

#292 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:08 pm

Zot wrote:Hey Lucy, nice set!

Danny’s All-Star Joint -- one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite albums ever. I wanted to marry Rickie Lee Jones for a while there in my 20s. I never really thought about using it for Lindy Hoppers until you mentioned it, though. I think I'll give it a try!
There a few local DJs, who play "Danny's All Star Joint." I always wondered how much it got played elsewhere.

Matt Jones, a local Lindy organizer/teacher/DJ is a huge Rickie Lee Jones fan, he has all her albums and will play obscure Rickie Lee Jones for blues dancing. I think he was the first to play it locally, but I could be wrong. These days it gets played by half the DJs in town and is kind of song that everybody knows.

We also have a radio station that still plays the song on a somewhat regular basis (KGSR).

laf

#293 Post by laf » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:25 pm

There a few local DJs, who play "Danny's All Star Joint." I always wondered how much it got played elsewhere.
I've never heard another dj play it, and I play it maybe once or twice a year. It's one of those danceable non-swing songs that are fun every once in a while but should not be indulged in. Kinda like the Belafonte song.

djstarr

#294 Post by djstarr » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:16 am

yeah, Danny's All Star Joint is a sweet selection - I was a big Rickie Lee Jones fan when Chuckie's in Love was popular (let's hear it for the old fogies on the board!).

Anyhow, she is from Lacey WA, a suburb of Olympia, our fair capitol.

David Mortensen played "Dat Dere" by Bobby Timmons during the Seattle Lindy Exchange - Rickie Lee Jones had covered it on "Pop Pop" and I've tried it out now at a couple of dances since the exchange --- fun to see Rickie getting some airtime.

Nice set Lucy!

JesseMiner

#295 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:28 am

October Thursday Guest DJ: Ron Sunshine (New York, New York)

Ron Sunshine is our October guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. You’ve danced to his music, now hear some of his favorite selections. Here’s a little about Ron:

"'Ron Sunshine is a star!' writes Kerry Burke of Citysearch.com, referring to the lead singer, songwriter, and harmonica player, and bandleader. He fell in love with music as a child, influenced by his four older sisters, who were an award-winning a capella harmony group, by his trumpet-playing father, and by weekly visits with his live-in babysitter to a soul-stirring full gospel pentecostal church. Playing well over 200 shows per year, Ron Sunshine and his band have traveled the world, playing concerts, festivals and nightclubs. Popular with dancers as well as listeners, Ron Sunshine and Full Swing continue to dazzle audiences. www.ronsunshine.com"

October Friday Producer's Picks: Yehoodi Radio Salutes Count Basie

Y6A and The Basie Centennial are this weekend, so we're going to keep the Count Basie tribute running throughout October!

Count Basie is a legendary musician, needing no introduction, and this year marks his 100th birthday. Yehoodi will be honoring him with The Basie Centennial Ball, www.basie100.com, during Y6A in October, but since he is my swinging idol, I went one step further preparing seven hours of my favorite Basie material for your listening and dancing pleasure. Hear him joined by greats like Joe Williams, Jimmy Rushing, Ella Fitzgerald, Joe Turner, Oscar Peterson and The Mills Brothers. To get you ready for the Ball, I have also added an hour of material featuring some of the special guest musicians who will be performing: Barbara Morrison, Clark Terry, Junior Mance, Irene Reid and Dennis Rowland (watch for the * next to their tracks). Listen to the great music of Count Basie every Friday this month on Yehoodi Radio.

Enjoy!

Jesse

wheresmygravy

#296 Post by wheresmygravy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:08 pm

All I am geting is "Ron Sunshine" promo spots.....

Toon Town Dave

#297 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:23 pm

Same. Yehoodi is starting to sound like a top-40 station :P

JesseMiner

#298 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:56 pm

Sorry guys. I don't know what the problem was. I was unfortunately out for a few hours picking up Rayned and Stacy from the airport and didn't notice the problem until returning home just now. The show should be fixed and playing properly now (I'm listening to it as I type this - great show btw!).

Ron's show will be broadcast every Thursday this month, so if you missed some of it today, you've got a three more chances to hear it.

My apologies for driving anyone crazy with the repeating station IDs. ;)

Jesse

wheresmygravy

#299 Post by wheresmygravy » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:47 am

Maybe we should start a thread on which version of Ron's promo did you like best and which one had the elements of Swing vs Groove. Maybe someone can pipe in with an unreleased version, etc etc etc....

mousethief

#300 Post by mousethief » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:36 am

I think we should have an all 20s and Dixieland day.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."