DJ book size as percentage of total collection.

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lindyholic

#16 Post by lindyholic » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:30 pm

Marcelo was telling me and some others yesterday that at the Binge he was going to sell his cds as he was DJing them. But Julius got to him first and bought everything off of him. But I guess DJing the stuff you wanna sell probably wouldn't work since you think it's crap, that's why you would want to sell it.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Yakov

#17 Post by Yakov » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:23 pm

who's Fry?

Doug

#18 Post by Doug » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:56 pm

julius

#19 Post by julius » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:02 pm

reuben, i'm still supposed to buy a charlie parker CD off you that you didn't want.

Mr Awesomer

#20 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:24 pm

I'm still holding it for you... I'll keep it with that other item I have for you...

:shock:
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#21 Post by Lawrence » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:38 pm

GuruReuben wrote:I'm still holding it for you... I'll keep it with that other item I have for you...

:shock:
I wonder what THAT could be.... :roll: Hmmmmmmmmmm.... 8)

Registration for the Austin Exchange is well over 300; get your spots, now. :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

#22 Post by Lawrence » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:47 pm

lindyholic wrote:I bring all my cds with me all the time, but I do DJ mainly out of one (now starting a second 48 cd binder) binder because that's where my best music is. My other 2 48 cd binders are alright, but I just don't DJ out of them as much because there is a lot of crap in there, but I bring it anyways. I need to get one binder for everything. I also have about 60 albums on my computer as well. But I don't bring my laptop with me that much and the music isn't the greatest.
Harrison
Not to pick on Harrison, but only using his post as a representative quote, I'm surprised at how many people cart their original CDs around. As Reuben has suggested elsewhere, I can't emphasize more the wisdom of using CD-Rs as a very inexpensive insurance policy against theft or what have you. For less the the cost of sales tax on the CDs you buy (or far less than shipping charges), you can have a back-up.

EVERY DJ I know who has been around for a while has had their binder book stolen at some time or another. I even keep a second binder book that contains extra copies of almost all my compilations so that I won't lose all that compilation work if someone steals the binder of CD-R compilations that I DO carry around with me.

You also then don't scratch up your original CDs, but instead inflict normal wear and tear on disposible CD-Rs.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

lindyholic

#23 Post by lindyholic » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:23 am

Yeah, I need to do this I think. I just need to get an external burner or ask a friend if I can use his computer for a day or something. I don't wanna loose my CDs. Just gotta get access to a burner and then I'll be all good.

Harrison

Lawrence

#24 Post by Lawrence » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:51 am

Again, desktop CD-R burners are REALLY cheap, now: MANY top-quality ones are under $50: the cost of 4 or 5 brand new CDs.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

lindyholic

#25 Post by lindyholic » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:10 am

Lawrence wrote:Again, desktop CD-R burners are REALLY cheap, now: MANY top-quality ones are under $50: the cost of 4 or 5 brand new CDs.
If I had a desktop I would, but I have a laptop, which makes things way more expensive.

Harrison

CafeSavoy

#26 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:25 am

lindyholic wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Again, desktop CD-R burners are REALLY cheap, now: MANY top-quality ones are under $50: the cost of 4 or 5 brand new CDs.
If I had a desktop I would, but I have a laptop, which makes things way more expensive.

Harrison
you can get an external with a firewire or a usb port. i got a buslink one from best buy and it works fine.

lindyholic

#27 Post by lindyholic » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:26 am

I know, but they're also pricy, I just spent most of my extra money on CDs...I guess I should get myself a job.

Harrison

Mr Awesomer

#28 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:39 am

Lawrence wrote: I wonder what THAT could be.... :roll: Hmmmmmmmmmm.... 8)
That comment had nothing to do with your dumb ass paddles.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Downeastdancer

#29 Post by Downeastdancer » Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:54 am

Thanks to various posts here, I have just finished putting all my dance music cds in a data base (MS Access). To my horror I discovered there are over 800 of them! And I actually bought them all - well, all but about 10! So it's definitely time for insurance.... Since I'm djing almost exclusively from the iBook now I'm trying to update the iPod regularly and keeping it separate from the iBook in case of theft. Maybe I'll start carrying around the external hard drive separately as well, in my purse (guys, you may have noticed how handy a big purse can be!) Our Bose wave radio and remote mic were stolen out of our car in the hotel garage at the Boston Tea Party - the thief broke the window to get it. We replaced the Bose, but the insurance claim caused cancellation of our homeowner's policy (Concord Insurance, don't go there), so we had to have a hearing with the state's insurance commissioner to get it reinstated - then we switched to Liberty Mutual. So, there are several morals to this story, and I'm sure you can figure them out.
"Take A Train!"

Greg Avakian

#30 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:05 am

GuruReuben wrote: one mans trash is anothers gold mine... maybe we could have a "For Sale" thread around here somewhere.
It's here:
http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=310

A few problems: do I really want the Charlie Barnet CD that you don't want -and do you really want the Gene Harris CD that I don't want?

Plus the cost of shipping might make it expensive for the buyer and the seller really wouldn't make much more than if s/he sold the CD to a store.

I know I don't want to make 10-15 trips to the post office when I could one trip to the CD store -and immediately buy some more CDs :D

One thing I think would work is if you took the CDs to a dance/exchange and just announced they were for sale for $4 each. Then again, if you sell 20 CDs -is making an extra $15-20 worth dragging a box of CDs with you?