post swing era white guys

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

KevinSchaper

post swing era white guys

#1 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:22 pm

Anybody DJ much Woody Herman or Stan Kenton, or Les Brown even?

I've got some Woody Herman stuff from 45-47 that's been really growing on me, but I'm pretty ignorant of what else is good from those guys after the swing era (and what's gonna end up sounding like all that "Artistry in.." garbage)

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:07 am

Well... Hal Smith, Eddie Reed, Dean Mora and Josh Collazo are all post swing era white guys...
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

Re: post swing era white guys

#3 Post by GemZombie » Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:34 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:Anybody DJ much Woody Herman or Stan Kenton, or Les Brown even?

I've got some Woody Herman stuff from 45-47 that's been really growing on me, but I'm pretty ignorant of what else is good from those guys after the swing era (and what's gonna end up sounding like all that "Artistry in.." garbage)
There are about 2 or 3 songs from each of those folks that I'll play, but I'm sure it's swing era stuff. I don't play any Kenton stuff unless I'm asked to. There are some good era Herman and Brown tunes though...

Most of the post era stuff is too jazzy (in a non-dancing way) or are rehashed "hi-fi" re-recordings that have no energy.

KevinSchaper

#4 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:42 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Well... Hal Smith, Eddie Reed, Dean Mora and Josh Collazo are all post swing era white guys...
haha, ok, I guess I should have gone with my original title of 'the guys who killed swing'

KevinSchaper

Re: post swing era white guys

#5 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:57 pm

GemZombie wrote:There are about 2 or 3 songs from each of those folks that I'll play, but I'm sure it's swing era stuff. I don't play any Kenton stuff unless I'm asked to. There are some good era Herman and Brown tunes though...

Most of the post era stuff is too jazzy (in a non-dancing way) or are rehashed "hi-fi" re-recordings that have no energy.
That's always been my view too - but after hearing some stuff from the mid/late 40's progressive sorta bands that I dug, it made me curious to find more...

haha, and I'm definitely not askin about that Oscillatin' Rhythms garbage.. though, I did find this Charlie Barnet tribute to Harry James record that is of that "Hi Fi" era, but absolutely kicks ass..

CafeSavoy

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:50 pm

he mostly just sings, but the side men aren't bad.

Billy Bauer - Guitar
Harry "Sweets" Edison - Trumpet
Bill Harris - Trombone
Woody Herman - Clarinet, Sax (Alto), Sax (Soprano), Vocals
Jo Jones - Drums
Barney Kessel - Guitar
Jimmy Rowles - Piano
Ben Webster - Sax (Tenor)
Charlie Shavers - Trumpet
Hal McKusick - Sax (Alto)
Lou Stein - Piano
Bob Newman - Sax (Tenor)
Norman Granz - Producer
Larry Bunker - Drums
Milt Hinton - Bass
Joe Mondragon - Bass
Marty Paich - Arranger
Jack Nimitz - Sax (Baritone)
Sol Schlinger - Sax (Baritone)
Jerry Cook - Sax (Tenor)
Sheldon Marks - Art Direction
Ben Young - Research, Restoration
Sung Lee - Art Direction, Design
Suzanne White - Design Coordinator
Carlos Kase - Production Assistant
Bryan Koniarz - Reissue Supervisor

Kyle

#7 Post by Kyle » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:34 pm

I have found it hard to find Woody Herman stuff that I really like that isn't too long or too jazzy. and I still haven't found any Stan Kenton that I like. Any suggestions for Stan Kenton?

Lawrence

#8 Post by Lawrence » Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:57 pm

Stan Kenton mainstreamed and revolutionized the "Progressive Big Band" sound that explored new harmonies and musical theories at the expense of the consistent, core swing rhythm. So most of his stuff is very intentionally non-danceable. Most jazz musicians love him because of the interesting things he did with that genre, but most dancers dislike him.

However, Kenton did some recordings with Nat King Cole in 1950 that included a few gems. Some (if not all) of them are on a CD entitled "Big Band Cole." http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... dkylojxpsb That album also has Nat King Cole's recordings with the sans-Basie Basie orchestra.

There are other danceable Kenton recordings out there--indicating that the lack of "swing" in his work is not due to inability but due to choice--but I cannot recall which ones off the top of my head.

As for other dead post swing era white guys, Harry James (in the 60s and 70s) and Ray Anthony (50s) also did some amazing Hi-Fi recordings. Some of the cuts have that Lawrence Welk lifeless quality, but others really kick it.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

KevinSchaper

#9 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:05 pm

CafeSavoy wrote: he mostly just sings, but the side men aren't bad.
*drool*

that's an understatement!

When I was lookin around, I spotted another album called Songs for Tired Lovers - I wouldn't expect much from the music, but it's a great album cover... if I ever spot it on LP maybe it'll get a place next to "Strip Tease Party" and "Betty White picks songs for: The Lindy"..

Kyle

#10 Post by Kyle » Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:09 pm

betty white as in Golden Girls Betty White????

Lindyguy

#11 Post by Lindyguy » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:57 pm

I like to play "Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy" by Stan Kenton with vocalist June Christy.

There are some Anita O'Day songs with Kenton that I can't remember off hand but get play now and again by me.

Terry
If you have to put fruit in it, it's not beer.

Kyle

#12 Post by Kyle » Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:11 pm

Tampico

is another one

Greg Avakian

#13 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Dec 26, 2002 6:58 am

Well, this may be too jazzy, but I love the tune"Greasy sack blues" by Woody Herman. There are two versions available; one is live and is around 8 mins., the other is a studio cut that is over 5 mins. but is great to dance to. it's also slow (128 BPM?). I'm at my parent's house so if you want more info, E-mail me and I can tell you which albums they are from when I get home in a week.

Enjoy!
Greg

Platypus

#14 Post by Platypus » Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:16 pm

I don't think they are the same person. Betty White was a famous teacher of partner dancing back in the 50s or so. My previous local library had one of her dance lesson books for teens. Included those little footprint descriptions of steps, lectures on good manners and proper attire, ice breaker dance games, etc. So, I assume her record of "hits" was made to complement the books.

CafeSavoy

#15 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:24 pm

i just got this live stan kenton cd, stompin' at newport, probably because of this thread. i'm still not sure what i think of him, but it has pretty tight version of intermission riff.