why does everyone hate "wade in the water?"

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

#16 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:58 pm

To much of a good think is never good. If you over play the best charts, people get fed up of them.
I think it is quite a good song. Haven't DJed it to often, as it is still being played a lot down here. But thats ture of most stuff I DJ. If I hear other DJ's playing a song to often, I will try to DJ alternitave good songs.

Matthew

#17 Post by Matthew » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:25 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:My current favorite version is Marcelo's.
I agree. I'll have to play that some time.

I was okay the first few times I heard the Eva Cassidy version. Now, my friends like to watch me when it comes on, because they know I loathe it.

Let's think in a constructive way, though. What can we play for a while instead of that? Songs that come to mind include: "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak; "Landing" by Moby (love that song); "Smooth" by Santana; and "Silicone," "Slimcea Girl," or "Life in Mono" by Mono.

Soma-Guy

#18 Post by Soma-Guy » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:52 pm

gatorgal wrote: What I find funny is that everyone I've met always associates "Wade" with the "Westie" scene when I heard it in Lindy circles for a long time before I heard it at a Westie dance. I also associate the song with a particular dancer that I like, so I guess that's another reason why "Wade" doesn't bother me that much.

Tina 8)
Remember. . . Just because it's been played at Lindy Dances doesn't necessarily make it a Lindy Song.

Joel

Roy

#19 Post by Roy » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:53 pm

Matthew wrote:

I was okay the first few times I heard the Eva Cassidy version. Now, my friends like to watch me when it comes on, because they know I loathe it.

Let's think in a constructive way, though. What can we play for a while instead of that? Songs that come to mind include: "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak; "Landing" by Moby (love that song); "Smooth" by Santana; and "Silicone," "Slimcea Girl," or "Life in Mono" by Mono.
How about something that swings?

yedancer

#20 Post by yedancer » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:25 pm

Soma-Guy wrote:
Remember. . . Just because it's been played at Lindy Dances doesn't necessarily make it a Lindy Song.

Joel
Gee, that's never been said before on this forum.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Soma-Guy

#21 Post by Soma-Guy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:19 am

Just because it's been said before doesn't make it any less relevant.

Matthew

#22 Post by Matthew » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:21 am

Roy wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Well, there is always that option, I suppose. Hehehe...

Something that swings might include: "How High the Moon" or "Moonglow" by Benny Goodman; "Blue Moon" or "Out of Nowhere" by Django; and "Summertime" by Billie Holiday.

Greg Avakian

#23 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:12 am

Roy wrote:
Well, I would contend that 'Wade' totally swings if you are talking about a syncopated rhythm and an emphasis on the upbeat. That, and a feeling of a downward bounce make it SO Lindyable. The "problems" I see are the tempo, the hesitation in the even beat and all the breaks (which I think most people love, but I understand is a turn-off for others).
Matthew wrote:Well, there is always that option, I suppose. Hehehe...

Something that swings might include: "How High the Moon" or "Moonglow" by Benny Goodman; "Blue Moon" or "Out of Nowhere" by Django; and "Summertime" by Billie Holiday.
I put a whole different style of music in the 'wade' catagory (way more westie than the above cuts):
Fire
Natural man (I really like the live version by Ron Sunshine, Lou Rawls' live version is also good, but maybe too funky).
This business of love
Why don't you do right
If I don't dance
Waiting for the blues
Mary, don't you weep

gatorgal

#24 Post by gatorgal » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:38 am

Soma-Guy wrote:
gatorgal wrote: What I find funny is that everyone I've met always associates "Wade" with the "Westie" scene when I heard it in Lindy circles for a long time before I heard it at a Westie dance. I also associate the song with a particular dancer that I like, so I guess that's another reason why "Wade" doesn't bother me that much.

Tina 8)

Joel
True dat. Since the different dance scenes here in South Florida are so stratified, you start to think in terms of this is a "lindy" song and this is a "westie" song or this is a "ballroom" song. Which personally pisses me off and makes me think I'm being brainwashed.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Roy

#25 Post by Roy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:38 am

Greg Avakian wrote:

I put a whole different style of music in the 'wade' catagory (way more westie than the above cuts):
Fire
Natural man (I really like the live version by Ron Sunshine, Lou Rawls' live version is also good, but maybe too funky).
This business of love
Why don't you do right
If I don't dance
Waiting for the blues
Mary, don't you weep
I agree most of those are all in the Wade category. Fire, Natural man, Business of love, and I'll add one, Sex bomb, I hate just as much as Wade in the water. Why don't you do right and If I don't dance, it depends on what version you are talking about. When a DJ starts playing a few of those songs in a row I leave the room. One is OK, but a few in row, yuck.

The thing that bothers me the most is that these songs are so popular. Each one packs the dance floor. If dancers want to hear these types of songs so much they really should consider going to west coast event.

Greg Avakian

#26 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:04 am

Roy wrote: and I'll add one, Sex bomb, I hate just as much as Wade in the water.
I think you are categorizing by "music you hate" ;)

Seriously, I'm not great at describing musical genres and all, but I'll give this a try. Also, I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to pick a fight or anything. This is really too much thought for a minor question.

There is a musical inflection in the list of music that relates to 'wade' that is not present in sex bomb.

Sex bomb is a different category musically. Listen to any two of the above songs -and sex bomb- because sex-bomb totally stands out. It's a pop-dance song -the others are not.

I'm going to go out on a limb here:
Being a DJ has taught me to listen to the music and not just judge a style. This is something that I think wade in the water has been a "victim" of. It has become the "whipping boy" of the swing scene which:
A. It doesn't deserve, and
B). Is a shame -since so many people seem embarrassed by the fact that they really, really like the song.

Listening to the music rather than the style has been very helpful for me in opening up to -for example- Sidney Bechet. "Blues my naughty baby gives to me" has more in common with 'wade' than sex-bomb does, even though no one would ever west coast swing to it. I'd say Wade and sex bomb share tempo and repetitiveness, while wade and BMNSGTM share emphasis on the even beat, hesitation on the even beat, plus they both have a bluesy, gospel-ish laid back feel.

You all might disagree, but that's what I hear... :) have fun roasting me for the sacrilege!
Last edited by Greg Avakian on Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yakov

#27 Post by Yakov » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:50 am

cool. so now i can say: i like the song.

gatorgal

#28 Post by gatorgal » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:53 am

Yakov wrote:cool. so now i can say: i like the song.
You could have said that anytime. Just be prepared for some people to laugh at you, point, and say "Silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids!"

I should really stop posting when my blood sugar is low.

Tina 8)

Yakov

#29 Post by Yakov » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:57 am

silly rabbit!

(wow, cereal giveaways used to be much cooler...)

gatorgal

#30 Post by gatorgal » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice pic but the rabbit looks kinda scary...

Tina 8)