What do you exclude from your collection?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

What do you exclude from your collection?

#1 Post by Matthew » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:02 pm

What songs, artists, etc. do you exclude from your swing collection? Why do you exclude them?

I'm not talking about modern pop, such as Screeching Weasel. Swing-related music only, including neo-swing.

I'm expecting to hear a loud chorus of "Glenn Miller," because so many people I know loathe his music. I'm actively excluding his stuff from my collection because I haven't heard him swing harder than a 200-year old golfer.

Ryan

#2 Post by Ryan » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:59 pm

Rock n' Roll

Bob the Builder

#3 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:03 am

I'm not a fan of excluding any artists. Most of them, even Glen Miller IMHO have recorded one or two Charts that I believe are good to Ok.
I have found my taste to develop sometimes as well, so an artist I did not like when I first heard them, now I may like.
I generally don't believe in closing doors.

CafeSavoy

#4 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:39 am

I have a glenn miller compilation.

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:44 am

Lawrence Welk
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

yedancer

#6 Post by yedancer » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:46 am

Seriously, though, I've heard some Glen Miller stuff that's okay. I have a live recording of "In The Mood" that actually swings pretty good. It's a lot faster than the standard version usually played, and all the solos sound real.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

JesseMiner

#7 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:47 am

CafeSavoy wrote:I have a glenn miller compilation.
Me too. Glenn Miller swings the hell out of some cuts.

As I grow as a DJ, I find myself opening up, limiting my musical selections less, getting more in touch with what the variety of dancers want, not just what I want. I try to not make blanket statements like "I will never play type X of music." Granted I will admit that I rarely, if ever, play much neo-swing or Andrew Sisters, but I am open to the possibility of doing so in the future when the time is right (I'm actually in the progress of putting together an Andrews Sisters compilation just in case). :)

Jesse

funkyfreak

#8 Post by funkyfreak » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:57 am

Beat me to it, I was just about to say Andrew Sisters aren't in my normal collection, although I bet I could dig up something dusty if I had to. And Glenn Miller, as some have pointed out, has some live cuts I really can get into.

Except for some really horrendous modern bands, I don't bother to 'catalogue' bands or songs I can't stand, I keep track of the ones I do want to move to.

-FF

LazyP

#9 Post by LazyP » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:51 am

I'm not actively excluding anything. But since I'm building my collection and don't have huge amounts of money I'm only buying things I really want. This makes me buy no Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman and Andrew sisters at the moment.
But I guess if I found something I really like I wouldn't really care who recorded it.

/Patrik
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

gatorgal

#10 Post by gatorgal » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:39 am

The only stuff I exclude is music I don't like. Why would I play something I don't like?

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Swifty

#11 Post by Swifty » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:40 am

I don't intentionally exclude anything, but since I'm a music fan first and a DJ second, I pretty much only have CDs that I would listen to on my own.

Nate Dogg

#12 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:53 am

Depends on what you mean by excluding?

When I DJ, I actually don't bring that many CDs, in most cases a book with compilations that for the most part has the songs I am likely to play or recieve a request for.

At home, my Swing original CD bookshelf/binders have all the swing artists, this includes Glenn Miller. It also includes non-danceable CDs from artists that have other more danceable CDs (ex: I don't separate the non-danceable Ray Charles from the danceable, all my Ray Charles is stored in the same place). This level of organization is so that I can find stuff. My orginals very rarely leave the house.

Finally, I have a couple thousand non-swing CDs in separate bookcases in another room.

Roy

#13 Post by Roy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:10 am

Guy Lomardo
70's soul/funk or motown

I know it's a trend recently to play soul at swing events, but it won't be at my hands that this happens.

I do carry Indigo Swing and Royal Crown Review, but beyond that I do not carry any neo-swing.

main_stem

Re: What do you exclude from your collection?

#14 Post by main_stem » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:22 am

Matthew wrote:
I'm expecting to hear a loud chorus of "Glenn Miller," because so many people I know loathe his music. I'm actively excluding his stuff from my collection because I haven't heard him swing harder than a 200-year old golfer.
Check out his The Spirit is Willing. It's good stuff and I pull from it oftern. Almost doesn'e sound like Miller.

As for Stuff I exclude... Frank Sinatra. Other than the fact that I just can't stand him, other people play him enough around here so I feel no obligation too.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

GemZombie

#15 Post by GemZombie » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:32 am

I have Glenn Miller, because there are actually a few decent Miller tunes that cook. They are harder to find. I keep my Glenn Miller Proper Box set in my collection.

I dig pre Rock and Rock "R&B" stuff, so I wont' exclude that.

I do exclude most modern jazz, even if it might "Swing". I generally don't like it, and thus don't have to play it if I don't have it with me. I exclude many Neo swing bands, mostly because i'm tired of hearing it.

Past that I pretty much carry everything else since you never know when the mood will strike you to play something to cause pain and suffering. I actually play a really cheezy or bad song from time to time just to remind people how bad it used to be before I took over DJ duties locally.