What do you exclude from your collection?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Spin Doctor

#31 Post by Spin Doctor » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:53 am

Before posting here I had to go back and listen to a few Glenn Miller tunes to remind myself afresh of how much I like some of his stuff. Now I can breathe a big refreshing "ahhh" and start my day by posting here.

Squirrel Nut Zippers! I leave them out. I actually bought their CD a century or so ago and used to play it around the era of the Gap swing commercial. For anyone who was DJing back then you might remember all of the teen-aged posers who were showing up at dances (and paying u$ good money to $upport our habit). Well, gosh, even though they couldn't dance I just had to play stuff for them, cuz, gee, they were helping us to buy better sound equipment and build our CD collections. Well, now they're gone, in search of another 'fad'. So I retired my Squirrel Nut Zippers CD (and a few other neo-swing CDs). Once in a while a few of them drop by the dances again, and I can usually find something in my collection to satisfy their neo-desire (but it's getting harder and harder to find that stuff in my cases anymore)

Now, back to Glenn for a minute. I was recently approached by two dancers at Hop Swing & A Jump in NYC after I played a swingin' cut of "Little Brown Jug". They thought the tune was really cool and wanted to know who/what it was. I think that was the only time I played a Miller tune this year except in classes. One of the things I like about his tunes is that they are easy for beginner dancers to hear the beat. So I use them in beginner swing classes (usually to introduce new dancers to a little faster [160+] tempo).

And one thing I do not exclude is 50's R&R and 60's Motown. There's some really good, swingin' 50's & 60's music that people love and really respond to in all of the scenes where I DJ. I used to be surprised at how Jackie Wilson's "Higher And Higher" and "Lonely Teardrops" or Martha Reeves & The Vandellas "Jimmy Mack" would fill the floor. (I started taking chances with them late last year when I was preparing for a 50's R&R New Year's Eve party that I had been hired for.) People definitely love and respond to that music (and it's not just us ole fellas).

Greg Avakian

#32 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:03 am

This is a tough question ...I don't exclude anything from my book, but there's lots of stuff I wouldn't play unless it's requested.
I find almost any artist has some gems, so while I wouldn't carry 5-6 Cds from an artist I don't like, making a mix of 20 songs keeps my bases covered. It also let's me adjust to the crowd; like if an entire group of beginners walks in I can play something they will find familiar.

yedancer

#33 Post by yedancer » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:09 pm

Spin Doctor wrote:
Squirrel Nut Zippers! I leave them out. I actually bought their CD a century or so ago and used to play it around the era of the Gap swing commercial. For anyone who was DJing back then you might remember all of the teen-aged posers who were showing up at dances (and paying u$ good money to $upport our habit). Well, gosh, even though they couldn't dance I just had to play stuff for them, cuz, gee, they were helping us to buy better sound equipment and build our CD collections. Well, now they're gone, in search of another 'fad'. So I retired my Squirrel Nut Zippers CD (and a few other neo-swing CDs). Once in a while a few of them drop by the dances again, and I can usually find something in my collection to satisfy their neo-desire (but it's getting harder and harder to find that stuff in my cases anymore)
Is Squirrel Nut Zippers really neo-swing? From what I recall, they hated being called a swing band, insisting that they played Hot Jazz.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Soupbone

#34 Post by Soupbone » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:19 pm

The SNZ's were certainly lumped into that group, I think primarily due to the timing of their rise to fame. I have no doubt that their influences were different than those of, say, BBVD or the Cerry Poppin Daddies or whomever, in terms of where they wanted their music to be.

I think where they encountered the most difficulty was that they hated being lumped in with the neo-swing movement, but didn't have enough "chops" to impress the hardcore jazz heads (not that doing so was a goal of theirs or anything, I just mean they were sort of left in critical limbo).

I was seeing them in Chapel Hill prior to being involved in swing dancing, and they always put on an entertaining live show, and I did appreciate them in a live setting. I never really cared for their recordings.
Gary

Mr Awesomer

#35 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:23 pm

yedancer wrote: Is Squirrel Nut Zippers really neo-swing? From what I recall, they hated being called a swing band, insisting that they played Hot Jazz.
How about "Neo-Hot Jazz" hahaha
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Abdel

#36 Post by Abdel » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:20 pm

I can't believe Mathew is dissing Glenn "F*cking" Miller as someone of you call him. I personally like Glenn Miller, however I don't like it when people request "In The Mood" when ever I djed. Mathew, I'm pretty sure that You have heard me played his stuff before. Just remind me to spin some of his stuff this Sunday. I have a couple of compilations by Glenn Miller. The following CD was made from the "Secret Broadcast" set that many of you have.

1 107 The Way You Look Tonight 2:27
2 119 Oh, Lady Be Good! 3:00
3 121 Tuxedo Junction 3:30
4 128 Five O’clock Whistle 2:57
5 131 A String Of Pearls 3:34
6 134 Begin The Beguine 3:33
7 142 There’ll Be A Hot Time In The Town.. 2:49
8 146 Song Of The Volga Boatmen 3:05
9 155 Swing Low, Sweet Chariot 4:14
10 158 9:20 Special 3:17
11 158 Boog It 2:20
12 158 Long Tall Mama 3:25
13 167 Wham (Re-Bop-Boom-Bam) 3:34
14 170 Bubble Bath 3:34
15 177 Cherokee 2:04
16 183 American Patrol 3:28
17 183 Sun Valley Jump 2:42
18 184 It Must Be Jelly 3:05
19 185 7-0-5 2:48
20 188 Tail-End Charlie 3:16
21 210 Snafu Jump 3:02
22 214 Stealin’ Apples 3:16
23 236 Enlisted Men’s Mess 2:45
24 237 Caribbean Clipper 2:38
25 245 Woodpecker Song 2:35
26 250 Mission To Moscow 2:42

djstarr

#37 Post by djstarr » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:13 pm

I played Peg of My Heart last night from the Anthology of Big Band Swing CD - it fit the mood (the first DJ had tuckered everyone out with fast music) and was ok to dance to.

Ron

#38 Post by Ron » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:18 pm

Glenn Miller's Secret Broadcasts is excellent.