New Album - Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

phantom dancer

New Album - Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters

#1 Post by phantom dancer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:27 am

Back In Your Own Backyard is the latest jazz release of songs from the 1920s and 30s by Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters - for your dancing and listening pleasure.

Release date Oct 31.

Pre-order from-
Bandcamp:
https://gregpoppletonandhisbakelitebroa ... n-backyard

iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/back- ... 1155023532

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Back-Backyard-Po ... B01M0GG5Y2

Sample videos on YouTube:
I'll See You In My Dreams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Mxx5Is-00
Too Marvelous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUCDwetRecY

In the band:
Greg Poppleton - vocals
Geoff Power - brass (sousaphone, trumpet and trombone)
Paul Furniss - reeds (alto sax and clarinet)
Grahame Conlon - strings (guitar)
Lawrie Thompson - percussion (drums and washboard)

1. Cake Walking Babies From Home (2:32)
Chris Smith, Henry Troy, Clarence Williams (1924)

2. They Didn't Believe Me (2:49)
Jerome Kern, Herbert Reynolds (1914)

3. Too Marvelous For Words (3:13)
Richard Whiting, Johnny Mercer (1937)

4. I'll See You In My Dreams (2:36)
Isham Jones, Gus Kahn (1924)

5. Back in Your Own Backyard (2:27)
Dave Dreyer, Billy Rose, Al Jolson (1927)

6. Egyptian Ella (2:34)
Walter Doyle (1930)

7. When My Dreamboat Comes Home (3:14)
Dave Franklin, Cliff Friend (1936)

8. Honeysuckle Rose (3:15)
Thomas ‘Fats’ Waller, Andy Razaf (1929)

9. Nobody's Sweetheart (3:36)
Billy Meyers, Elmer Schoebel, Gus Kahn, Ernie Erdman (1924)

10. The Lady Is A Tramp (3:13)
Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers (1937)

11. Makin' Whoopee! (3:55)
Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn (1928)

12. Yes, We Have No Bananas (2:07)
Frank Silver, Irving Cohn (1922)

Greg Poppleton caught the jazz bug at age three seeing Louis Armstrong on TV. To his parent’s despair he never had any interest in contemporary popular music. He's totally uninfluenced by it.

His passion is jazz and swing from the 1920s and 1930s. He's self-taught. He has his own style, unschooled and uncompromised by the jazz academy.

‘They Didn’t Believe Me’ from the latest album ‘Back In Your Own Backyard’ has just been chosen for the soundtrack of a new German-Israeli movie co-production, The Cake Maker. Greg has more than 850,000 views on YouTube, huge for a jazz independent.

With over 20 years of live jazz performance, Greg’s singing style is all his own. U.S and Australian critics have written that Poppleton’s style is 'uncannily authentic to the Swing Era’. Yet he sounds fresh, new, swinging and feel-good.

Greg does study bel-canto vocal technique. He likes to use his full three octave range improvising in shows of up to five hours. That requires a fit and expressive voice.

Every day he sings to Pavarotti, Gigli, Bocelli, Carreras, Behle and Bjorling.

Then the jazz happens when he sings with his Bakelite Broadcasters of world-touring classic jazz musicians. Total improv. Chart and rehearsal free, the way all Greg’s albums are recorded, too. Poppleton's live shows are spontaneous, witty and lively.

He visits opera singer Steve Ostrow for intense sessions of arias and lieder.

Steve is a no-nonsense vocal coach from New York City, a student of Gigli and Melchior. He sang on stage with Pavarotti. Now in his 80s, Steve was the man behind New York City’s famous Continental Baths, the hip place to be from 1968-74. He launched Bette Midler and Barry Manilow in their pop careers, re-launched Peter Allen's career, and booked such jazz stars as Sarah Vaughan, Cab Calloway and Margaret Whiting.

Greg listens to a lot of jazz from live 1920s-30s and beyond radio recordings for his multi-award-winning weekly jazz radio show, The Phantom Dancer.

On-air since 1985, heard on 22 radio stations and online, The Phantom Dancer is up for another CBAA best music show award this year.

Greg Poppleton has released six albums of 1920s-30s jazz and swing:

2006 - The Phantom Dancer
Album of the Week: Women's Vintage Radio (US)

2012 - Doin' The Charleston
Album of the Week: 2CH Commercial Radio Sydney, ArtSoundFM Canberra, 5MBS Adelaide

2013 - Sweet Sue
Album of the Week: 102.5FM Fine Music Sydney

2014 - 1920s-30s Background Chill Mix 1
(Songs from 3 albums) 770,000 YouTube views

2015 - 1920s-30s Background Chill Mix 2
(Songs from 3 albums) 50,000 YouTube views

2016 - Back In Your Own Backyard.
Release date 31 October.

Festivals: World's first 2016 International Jazz Day Event, Sydney Festival, Waiheke International Jazz Festival NZ, Thredbo, Illawarra, Dubbo, Merimbula and Glen Street Theatre Jazz Festivals, Blue Mountains 1920s Festival and many historical events.

Greg Poppleton is a feature film, TV, stage actor and voiceover. He has worked with Nicole Kidman, John Goodman and Adrien Brody.

facebook.com/Greg.Poppleton.Band

twitter.com/GregPoppleton

The Phantom Dancer. Swing & dance from live 1920s-50s radio. Tuesdays, 107.3 2SER-FM Sydney & 2ser.com. Presented by Greg Poppleton since 1985!