Songs with false endings/long pauses?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bobbie Sox

Songs with false endings/long pauses?

#1 Post by Bobbie Sox » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Hey Team!

I'm curious to know the songs you love to play when you want to have some cheeky fun with the floor. Thise songs with a glaze ending or a drawn out break. Think "Little Jazz" by Roy Eldridge, or "Are You All Reet" by Cab Calloway.

:)

straycat

Re: Songs with false endings/long pauses?

#2 Post by straycat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:24 am

Edgar Hayes - Meet the Band
Gene Krupa - In the Mood. This version has probably the most evil set of false endings I've ever encountered.

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:12 pm

George Gee's "Blues For Stephanie" from the album "Swingin' Live" has a classic 8-count break, often filled by the mighty roar of David Jacoby (or countless others - myself included - channeling him).

And if you really want to push it, the slow swinging "Stormy Monday Blues" by Yoko Noge & The Jazz Me Blues from the album "Struttin' With Yoko" has a massive 32-count break, with a soulful note sweetly sustained by vocalist Elijah Levi throughout. Mmmmm....

As for false endings, I've always loved the classic "April In Paris" by Count Basie off the album of the same name. Same goes for "Up A Lazy River" by The Mills Brothers (also with Basie) from the album "The Board Of Directors". Perfect for the DJ who wants to dance and get a proper dip in before rushing back to the booth. :)

Jesse

trev

#4 Post by trev » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:30 pm

"Cherry In My Lemon & Lime” by The Three Riffs

Thorin

#5 Post by Thorin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Floatin' My Way Back to You - Johnny Boyd (at 2:50 he hits what sounds like an ending note and then there's silence for 5 seconds before the music resumes)
Tin Roof Blues - Bourbon Street Jazzband (at about 4:09 the music goes double time for two 8-counts and switches back and forth a few times between 122 and 244)