Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Surreal

R.I.P. Natalie Cole

#1 Post by Surreal » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:47 am

lipi

Re: R.I.P. Natalie Cole

#2 Post by lipi » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:14 pm

Let's make this a happy thread. What Natalie Cole recordings have you played at dances?

I've played "Route 66" and "Straighten Up and Fly Right" from "Unforgettable with Love". They used to be quite popular in the SF Bay Area (during the halcyon days of the Dog House and when Rob and Diane were still teaching up here), but I have not heard either in a while.

I heard "This Will Be (an Ever Lasting Love)" at 9:20 Special's soul night in SF a few weeks ago and loved dancing to it.

Surreal

#3 Post by Surreal » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:32 pm

Also from "Unforgettable with Love" I've played Don't Get Around Much Anymore and This Can't Be Love.

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Natalie Cole will be missed!

From my DJ perspective, I agree on all of the swinging tracks from Unforgettable With Love, and would also like to add "Undecided" and a few others from Take A Look and her great version of "Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?" from Baseball: A Film By Ken Burns.

Jesse

lipi

#5 Post by lipi » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:02 pm

JesseMiner wrote:her great version of "Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?" from Baseball: A Film By Ken Burns.
Whaaaaaaat?! I never realized she was on the soundtrack for that. I play the Buddy Johnson one semi-frequently, and have played the Count Basie recording once or twice, too. Must! Get!

Thanks, Jesse!

Surreal

#6 Post by Surreal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Not the greatest for dancing, but she's got a duet with Ray Charles singing "Fever" on his Genius Loves Company album.