Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Surreal

R.I.P. BB King

#1 Post by Surreal » Fri May 15, 2015 8:41 am

lipi

Re: R.I.P. BB King

#2 Post by lipi » Fri May 29, 2015 10:43 pm

:(

But let's celebrate, instead. Any albums or recordings you particularly enjoy for blues (or, hey, why not, lindy--bring back the 90's!)?

The only album I have is his 1999 tribute to Louis Jordan, "Let the Good Times Roll". I've never DJ'ed anything from it, but I do enjoy listening to most of it.

philippecrhk

#3 Post by philippecrhk » Sun May 31, 2015 8:00 am

I find his very early records are great for dancing Lindy Hop and they signal the introduction of the guitar as a replacement for the saxophone. His singing is also great on these tracks.
I regularly play "She's Dynamite " , "Let's do the boogie" from the 1949-52 Chronological Classics . Guaranteed floor filling tunes .
I am surprised that so few people DJ the Rhythm&Blues dance music from 1945-55 as it was the staple music for swing dancing at the time .
Today it has less appeal to the experienced dancers but its simpler structure and drum/bass resemblance to contemporary pop music definetely brings in the young and teenage dancers.

What happened in the 90s that made it less popular ?

turntables

#4 Post by turntables » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:50 pm

philippecrhk wrote: I regularly play "She's Dynamite " , "Let's do the boogie"
Love those 2 tracks, hope they get re-released, or with the new apple streaming service, at least some sort of BB King marathon mix session.

lipi

#5 Post by lipi » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:01 pm

turntables wrote:
philippecrhk wrote: I regularly play "She's Dynamite " , "Let's do the boogie"
Love those 2 tracks, hope they get re-released, or with the new apple streaming service, at least some sort of BB King marathon mix session.
Both those tracks are available on Amazon as digital downloads right now. I suspect they're available on in-print CDs, too (I didn't check).

trev

#6 Post by trev » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:00 pm

philippecrhk wrote:I am surprised that so few people DJ the Rhythm&Blues dance music from 1945-55 as it was the staple music for swing dancing at the time
I actually play quite a bit, as our main weekly social night is to a live band with a Rhythm & Blues vibe. It's lots of fun, and great for getting people excited, but I think of it as gateway to the real stuff.