Glenn Miller - Your Best Album Picks?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jose Tello

Glenn Miller - Your Best Album Picks?

#1 Post by Jose Tello » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi all,

Lately I've been digging through my Glenn Miller material and I'm looking to invest in a good (sound) quality Glenn Miller album. Something more like a box set with a broad selection of his recorded material... So my question comes down to: what's your favorite Glenn Miller album/box set/compilation?

I found this one: http://www.amazon.com/Glenn-Miller-Popu ... B000002WDC
Not the best in selection, but decent quality.

I'm particularly fond of the Mosaic box sets, but there seems to be nothing of the sort for Glenn...

Thoughts and recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance! :D

JesseMiner

Re: Glenn Miller - Your Best Album Picks?

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Might want to use the search function to look up past discussions on the subject, but two must-have Glenn Miller albums/compilations IMHO are:

The Spirit Is Willing - You have to get this on CD, and it is WELL worth it for so many hard-swinging tracks and great audio quality.

The Army Air Force Band - This is available digitally and contains some of my favorite hard-swinging numbers, such as "Jeep Jockey Jump" and "Here We Go Again", and once again has great sound quality.

Hope that helps get you started!

Jesse

trev

#3 Post by trev » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:08 pm

I snapped up this one which was released in limited supply for cheap by RCA a few years ago: RCA Original Masters. Supposedly from metal parts.

Otherwise The Spirit Is Willing is also pretty good in terms of performances. (Edit: Jesse beat me to it while I was typing this!)

There may be others I don't know about.

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Pretty much what those two guys said. I play things from "The Spirit..." fairly often.

Also, you may find this old thread interesting. Bob the Builder lists some of his favourite GM tracks:
http://www.swingdjs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1001

Finally, this thing is great if you want to listen to a lot of GM. It's got mostly non-lindy-friendly tracks, though:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Glenn-Mi ... B000002WGD
It used to be expensive and hard to find, but now that it's available as a download, it's pretty cheap.

Jose Tello

#5 Post by Jose Tello » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:47 pm

I always forget about the search feature...

Anyway, thanks everyone. I'll look into The Spirit is Willing. Sounds like the best bet. I also picked up the 4 Disc Quadromania: Anvil Chorus GM set. Pretty crisp quality and lots of songs on there.
:mrgreen: