How I find new music these days

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

hepcat72

How I find new music these days

#1 Post by hepcat72 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am

You know, 2 ways I've been discovering new music lately go quite well together. I thought I'd share.

I've been listening a lot lately to "Radio Dismuke" - available (a live365 station) in iTunes under "Music/Internet/Golden Oldies". You can also get them on your phone a few different ways (though one I frequently use started charging for their app). A free app that's still available where you can also find it is called TuneIn. There's a lot of non-danceable stuff, but also a lot of awesome stuff at times too. And, if you're using iTunes on your computer, you can view a live feed of the song info for the last 10 songs in your web browser.

Once I have a song I want, I can usually find it on freegal. Freegal gives you 5 free downloads a week. It works in conjunction with your local library. You can use the info on your library card to login. Or of course, you could go to the library in person and peruse the CDs. But, their online collection is vast - and likely much larger than what you'll find in person. If you use up your downloads, you can add songs to a wishlist. Unfortunately, their search is pretty horrible (probably intentionally so). You can search for a song title and it searches for each word in the title independently and throws the results together in a weird order that you can't change. But, if you pm me, I can give you some great tips on how to find what you're looking for pretty quickly. I've been using it for quite awhile now and have worked out some of the quirks.

lipi

Re: How I find new music these days

#2 Post by lipi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:17 am

hepcat72 wrote:But, if you pm me, I can give you some great tips on how to find what you're looking for pretty quickly.
What's with the mystery? Will the Illuminati come after you if you share in public?