Hear The Latest Phantom Dancer Show Online

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lipi

Re: Hear The Latest Phantom Dancer Show Online

#46 Post by lipi » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:52 am

Greg, what's the purpose of having two threads on this? I've not actually checked by listening, but it seems like one thread simply gets updated one day after the other with the same show, every time. Can you perhaps not bother with two messages, and just post once? It'll save you time, too!

(Actually, I see *four* of these threads, since there are two on organissimo.org, too.)

phantom dancer

#47 Post by phantom dancer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:00 pm

Hello Lipi,

It's an interesting question that you put and there are two answers to it which I'll tap out very quickly as I'm in a huge rush.

The first reason for the two threads is historical.

I've been posting since 2004. For legal reasons my weekly swing/jazz mixes could not be recorded and archived for online broadcast. This was changed about 18 months ago. So the original thread simply posted the play list for those who could tune in locally or online at the time of the live broadcast. The posts on this thread have a link to the play list and vid of the week before the show goes to air, alerting those who want to listen as to what's on - if it's worth their while to tune in.

When the legal impediments to recording and uploading the show online were removed, I started a second thread. Such a momentous occasion (ahem) was sufficiently newsworthy not to be buried in page 26 of the old thread and it spoke to a different audience. So, if you are a listener and you missed the show, it's a note that now you can catch up.

Organissimo is a different forum. So is All About Jazz and Fedora Lounge. I post on them all including FB, Twitter, Google+ and my own band website and the 2SER website. Why? Venn Diagrams. And to reach out to people who want to hear the kind of show I've been Djing since 1985.

Can it all be put on one thread? Yes. But that's pointless because I'd still be posting twice a week. Which comes to the second answer to your question - unless you test the system, which you admit you haven't done (and thank you for disclosing that), you can't know how it works or why it works, with respect.

Please, test the system. I appreciate your question and any suggestions you may have after testing to more effectively reach out to like-minded people who'd enjoy a weekly on-air 2 hour non-stop swing and jazz mix will be gratefully considered.

Cheers,
Greg
The Phantom Dancer. Swing & dance from live 1920s-50s radio. Tuesdays, 107.3 2SER-FM Sydney & 2ser.com. Presented by Greg Poppleton since 1985!

lipi

#48 Post by lipi » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Your original post could say "there'll be an archived version online in the next 10 hours" (with a link to the top of the blog, rather than the title of the latest show). Then there's no need for two posts (let alone two threads).

Do you know how many people you're getting from swingdjs.com that listen? Do you have link trackers? It would tell you which places are good places to advertise, and which ones poor ones. (My guess: this is a terrible place. It's the same few dozen people that read this forum week after week (most of us in inconvenient timezones for the live show), and even I, who don't listen, know when your show is on!)

I might be wrong, and maybe there are dozens of new lurkers every week who find your show on here and listen in. That'd be great to know! I promise I'll stop being irritated at your thread raising the "new/unread content" flag then. :)

Cheers.

phantom dancer

16 June : Hear The Latest Phantom Dancer Show Online

#49 Post by phantom dancer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:03 am

Missed today's Phantom Dancer? Hear live swing and jazz from 1920s-60s radio now online https://gregpoppleton.wordpress.com/201 ... june-2015/
The Phantom Dancer. Swing & dance from live 1920s-50s radio. Tuesdays, 107.3 2SER-FM Sydney & 2ser.com. Presented by Greg Poppleton since 1985!

phantom dancer

#50 Post by phantom dancer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:06 am

Hello Lipi,

Just read your reply and thank you for your advice.

I unfortunately found and read your post after I posted but will make the changes you suggested next week.

I will also find out more about link trackers. I feel ashamed to admit that the idea of link tracking had not occurred to me.

Best Regards
Greg