Caravan discography info

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CountBasi

Caravan discography info

#1 Post by CountBasi » Mon May 12, 2014 12:58 pm

Does anybody know the recording date and/or personnel on the Caravan on this CD please?

The Best Of Duke Ellington - The Platinum Collection

http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Of-Duke- ... n+platinum
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

trev

Re: Caravan discography info

#2 Post by trev » Mon May 12, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm not 100% on this, but I think it's the May 14, 1937 Ellington orchestra version played back at the wrong speed. It has the same Cootie Williams trumpet growl and the same Juan Tizol sequence.

If my hunch is correct, then the personnel are:
Rex Stewart (cnt) Cootie Williams, Arthur Whetsol (tp) Joe Nanton, Juan Tizol, Lawrence Brown (tb) Barney Bigard (cl,ts) Johnny Hodges (as,sop) Otto Hardwick (as,cl) Harry Carney (bar,cl,b-cl) Duke Ellington (p) Fred Guy (g) Hayes Alvis, Billy Taylor, Sr. (b) Sonny Greer (d)

Edit: nope, not the same. See below.
Last edited by trev on Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

CountBasi

#3 Post by CountBasi » Mon May 12, 2014 7:37 pm

Yeah.. the thing is I heard a version of Caravan on Saturday in a coffee shop here that was way slower than any I'd heard before. My very first thought after about the first few bars were 'ooh Creole Love Call-esque'. That bluesy.

When I got home and searched my collection, no version that slow. The guy in the coffee shop said he was playing a spotify playlist called 'Louis Armstrong & his Friends'. As he got to the device playing the tune, it finished and there was no way for him to go back to see what had played. It sounded a bit cleaner than the one I've linked to, but everything else is really making me feel it's the same version as that one. As you say, that '37 version isn't anywhere near this one in tempo.

Does Spotify not play only official recordings, or would it be possible they 'acquired' an edited(slowed down) version of this recording and put it out there for public consumption?

Hmmmm. I really liked the slow one in the coffee shop. I'd like to track down a cleaner version of the one I've linked to, hence my initial post in this thread.

As always, thanks for your time.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

anton

#4 Post by anton » Tue May 13, 2014 2:22 am

It should be the March 18, 1937, broadcast from the Cotton Club:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/mood-indi ... /729371492

trev

#5 Post by trev » Tue May 13, 2014 7:55 am

anton wrote:It should be the March 18, 1937, broadcast from the Cotton Club:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/mood-indi ... /729371492
Well how about that!

I was wrong.. Indeed a slower live version recorded 2 months before the studio recording. Fascinating!