1944 Woody Herman - I Get A Kick Out Of You - 2 takes?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

1944 Woody Herman - I Get A Kick Out Of You - 2 takes?

#1 Post by Eyeball » Mon May 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Heyyyy....

Can someone with a handy discography tell me if more than one take of this tune was issued? Interested in microgroove issues mostly. Thx!
Will big bands ever come back?

lipi

Re: 1944 Woody Herman - I Get A Kick Out Of You - 2 takes?

#2 Post by lipi » Mon May 05, 2014 7:20 pm

I see only one matrix number listed in Bruyninckx:

71628 I get a kick out of you (Ralph Burns arr)
Woody Herman and his Orchestra : Cappy Lewis, Bobby Guyer, Ray Wetzel, Ben Stabler, Nick Travis (tp) Eddie Bert, A1 Mastren, Ed Kiefer (tb) Woody Herman (cl,as,vcl) Johnny Bothwell, Chuck DiMaggio (as) Pete Mondello, Allen Eager, Ben Webster (ts) Skippy DeSair (bar) Ralph Burns (p) Hy White (g) Chubby Jackson (b) Cliff Leeman (d)
New York, January 8, 1944

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Mon May 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Thx, lipi! Been a while since I'd heard it and when I did, it sounded slightly different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQCLXq9Zfko

trev

#4 Post by trev » Thu May 08, 2014 12:49 am

I only have one listing for Herman too. It's possible that the YouTube version is being played back too slow.

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Thu May 08, 2014 8:40 am

trev wrote:I only have one listing for Herman too. It's possible that the YouTube version is being played back too slow.
Thx! That's possible. I am pretty sure that the Herman version of LAURA on YT is running too fast, though I am kind of certain that there ARE 2 takes on that. Very similar, but two.

fwiw - on a number of those Columbia box sets from the 60s, they issued alternate takes and didn't tell anyone. For many years, I only knew the alternate of MASSACHUSETTS on the Krupa box and only heard the actual issued take when someone DJ'd it at the old Satin Ballroom. For all I know, the LAURA on the Herman box set is an alternate and not the originally issued take.

fwiw2 - those box sets all had fantastic 'booklets'...multi page editions 12x12 with incredible photos and discographys and superb, learned texts. Those might be on ebay for little money these days....or not.