Chick Webb documentary - anyone seen it yet?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Re: Chick Webb documentary - anyone seen it yet?

#16 Post by Eyeball » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:32 pm

straycat wrote:
Eyeball wrote: I hope we are both wrong about that, but I sometimes get the feeling that the limited interest in such topics grows less and less as more time goes by.

Do you really think that today's dancers would care much about this?
I think they would - certainly judging by our neck of the woods. The population at large? I don't know, but given the number of documentaries on the swing era aired by the BBC over the last couple of years, I'd hope the interest was there.
I wonder if he is even trying to reach a specific audience or just anybody who might like it?

I emailed Jeff the director yesterday. No reply as of yet.
Will big bands ever come back?

lipi

#17 Post by lipi » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:02 am

Let me know if you get any enthusiasm. I'm willing to try getting it out here again.

This is the relevant bit from his message back in October 2012:

"I'd love to have The Savoy King show in the Bay Area. Frankly, it would be best to have it screen (if possible) at a good film venue like the SF Film Society, and then have a connected dance at a SF ballroom (that's what happened in NYC last week). However, I'd be glad to discuss . . ."

I replied enthusiastically with some venue suggestions that I could organize (needless to say, not the SF Film Society), and didn't hear back. So my impression was that he wanted some grander. But he may have just gotten busy and had this fall through the cracks.

Oh, I know Jeff knows Judy Pritchett and Elliott Donnely, so we may be able to contact him through them, too.

Eyeball

#18 Post by Eyeball » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:41 am

So my impression was that he wanted some grander....
That's what i'm feeling, too. Dances are low rent deals. He wants to make some money and garner more acclaim. It's the distribution. That's the golden ticket.
(I suppose.)

trev

#19 Post by trev » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:57 pm

How did he line up all that high profile voice talent and not have a distributor?

Eyeball

#20 Post by Eyeball » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:17 pm

trev wrote:How did he line up all that high profile voice talent and not have a distributor?
I guess you make the film first and get dist. rights later.