Movie review - Swing Under the Swastika

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Movie review - Swing Under the Swastika

#1 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:48 pm

This is a very good documentary from 1988 and examines what was a group of swing kids and record collectors among the youth there. They gather together two old timers who were part of the scene back then and they share some harrowing stories with the viewers; Nazis everywhere, record collections being smashed, kids send to concentration camps for their 'crimes'. Pretty potent stuff.

IMDB does not list it, but Googling it brings up some small reviews and credits.

Good viewing if you can find it. Maybe online.
Will big bands ever come back?

Toon Town Dave

Re: Movie review - Swing Under the Swastika

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:59 pm

I'll have to look for it.

Have you heard any of the "Charlie & his Orchestra" German propaganda recordings? Some of altered lyrics are pretty nasty and the music was largely pretty straight but a few soloists could swing. Perhaps a few holdovers from 20's when jazz was popular and respected.

Eyeball

Re: Movie review - Swing Under the Swastika

#3 Post by Eyeball » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:39 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:I'll have to look for it.

Have you heard any of the "Charlie & his Orchestra" German propaganda recordings? Some of altered lyrics are pretty nasty and the music was largely pretty straight but a few soloists could swing. Perhaps a few holdovers from 20's when jazz was popular and respected.
They had two old times who had not seen each other since those days.

I have heard some of those Charlie sides. A little lumpy, but not bad. The propaganda is really low-brow.
Will big bands ever come back?