Question about music history and development

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

straycat

Question about music history and development

#1 Post by straycat » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:35 am

Something I've been curious about for a while. I apologise that I don't have the terminology to describe this in musician's terms, because that would make it a lot easier to convey.

The style that Artie Shaw uses in this solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6LrEkxolpk#t=1m41s where he plays with that syncopated timing which makes the clarinet seem to dance around the music (for want of a better description)
Another example from Ball of Fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1QQ8UyBFoA#t=1m20s

While it's probably easiest to pick out in the likes of these clarinet solos - it seems to be a pretty pervasive technique in swing, and seems to be a huge part of what makes the music swing. My question is: where did that start? Was it always a part of trad jazz, or did it come in from somewhere? Was it a ragtime influence?

I know this might be an unanswerable question, or waaaay too wide in scope, but I'm kind of curious about more knowledgeable people's take on this.

CountBasi

Re: Question about music history and development

#2 Post by CountBasi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:43 am

Probably unanswerable is a year when this started. You can hear it on earlier recordings like Don Murray's clarinet on Royal Garden Blues with Bix in 27. Anyway, Sidney Bechet was doing this (among who know how many others) before the first recordings were ever cut. (I've stuck steadfastly to your clarinet theme - I should get extra points.)
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

trev

#3 Post by trev » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:41 pm

Not sure if this helps or is what you mean, but the example I've used before is Fletcher Henderson's 1924 version of Shanghai Shuffle. Most of the song is a fairly straight dance tune, until around half way (1:56) when a young guy called Louis something comes in with a swinging solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCCyE3e_39k

The story goes that Louis Armstrong was a big influence within the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra and showed the rest of them (including Don Redman and Coleman Hawkins) how to swing.

CountBasi

#4 Post by CountBasi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:59 pm

trev wrote:Not sure if this helps or is what you mean, but the example I've used before is Fletcher Henderson's 1924 version of Shanghai Shuffle. Most of the song is a fairly straight dance tune, until around half way (1:56) when a young guy called Louis something comes in with a swinging solo:

The story goes that Louis Armstrong was a big influence within the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra and showed the rest of them (including Don Redman and Coleman Hawkins) how to swing.

Correct, and whoever that Louis Armstrong fella was, he got fed up with Henderson's persistently stiff arrangements among other things and left inside 12 months to go back to Chicago. Which is probably why we never heard of him since.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

J-h:n

#5 Post by J-h:n » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Yep, that Armstrong kid sure has a lot to answer for. No wonder he chose to lie low for the rest of his life.

straycat

#6 Post by straycat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:25 am

CountBasi wrote:Probably unanswerable is a year when this started. You can hear it on earlier recordings like Don Murray's clarinet on Royal Garden Blues with Bix in 27. Anyway, Sidney Bechet was doing this (among who know how many others) before the first recordings were ever cut. (I've stuck steadfastly to your clarinet theme - I should get extra points.)
Aye - I should know better than to hope there's a simple answer - it's got to have been a slow evolutionary process. I'm not so fussed about whether it's clarinet or not - it's just that it's often easiest to pick out on the clarinet.

Here's another question though - who considers this to be a major factor when picking great danceable tracks?
trev wrote:Not sure if this helps or is what you mean, but the example I've used before is Fletcher Henderson's 1924 version of Shanghai Shuffle. Most of the song is a fairly straight dance tune, until around half way (1:56) when a young guy called Louis something comes in with a swinging solo:

Thanks - that's exactly the kind of thing I'm after. I know Louis Armstrong is credited with bringing swing to a lot of bands and musicians - as the Ken Burns series would have it, he "taught the Ellington orchestra to swing" - and this kind of thing might help lend some credence to that statement - I guess that from all accounts, he at the very least spread that style to a lot of people.

CountBasi

#7 Post by CountBasi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Are you sure it wasn't "taught the Henderson band how to swing" ?

For his part, Duke Ellington did talk about wishing he could have a Louis Armstrong in every seat in his band.

straycat

#8 Post by straycat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:29 am

CountBasi wrote:Are you sure it wasn't "taught the Henderson band how to swing" ?

For his part, Duke Ellington did talk about wishing he could have a Louis Armstrong in every seat in his band.
I'll check :)

straycat

#9 Post by straycat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:38 pm

CountBasi wrote:Are you sure it wasn't "taught the Henderson band how to swing" ?

Yeah - I confused two different parts of the documentary. The part I was thinking of did refer to Henderson's band, but it later made reference to the fact that Ellington "was missing something" and not knowing just what he was missing "until he heard Armstrong"