Ellington you don't like too much

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Ellington you don't like too much

#1 Post by Eyeball » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:05 pm

I heard "Frolic Sam" the other night and was fairly turned off by it. Unusual.

Some of his religious/sacred music doesn't appeal to me. And every now and then there is some hipster b/s that misses the mark for me to. Otherwise - love the Ellington!

You?
Will big bands ever come back?

trev

Re: Ellington you don't like too much

#2 Post by trev » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I think it's safe to say that MOST musicians we love have tracks that we certainly don't love. I could make a 24hr playlist of Basie, Armstrong, Goodman, Lunceford, Webb and Ellington that I don't like at all (wow that would be the worst use of spare time, ever ;) ).

Eyeball

Re: Ellington you don't like too much

#3 Post by Eyeball » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:42 pm

trev wrote:I think it's safe to say that MOST musicians we love have tracks that we certainly don't love. I could make a 24hr playlist of Basie, Armstrong, Goodman, Lunceford, Webb and Ellington that I don't like at all (wow that would be the worst use of spare time, ever ;) ).
It just happened to pop out at me. I was playing Ellington online/auto play and there it was. I had never heard it before, I guess, and wow...I didn't like it.

It's hard to fault many great Jazz players. They do very little 'wrong', but. for me, later period Armstrong is not too captivating for me. Same with beyond 50s Goodman where he just keeps playing the same standards all day long with that larter tone of his. Studio band Basie from the 60s is wearying to me. Clunky Lunceford later forties sides - the same. Webb novelties or time fillers - no big deal. Hampton - way over recorded with much the same quality (or lower) material.

I remember ages ago a man and his wife came into the Sam Goody's where I worked and they were saying that he bought every single Count Basie LP as they came out. He loved the sound.

But the Duke stood out.

Oh, well...... :)
Will big bands ever come back?