New Old Skool Swing Release with Paul Furniss

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

phantom dancer

New Old Skool Swing Release with Paul Furniss

#1 Post by phantom dancer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:45 am

Hi, Greg Poppleton (that's me - known elsewhere on these forums as The Phantom Dancer) leads a couple of jazz bands.

One is Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters.

We've just released a 15 track digital download swing album.

It's called 'Sweet Sue'.

All the songs on this album are played live to tape in one go. It was just like the band and I were on a stage. You were in the audience, mobile in one hand, cigarette lighter waving in the other, suzie-q-ing at the same time, mixing decades as I do.

It was such a teeny tiny venue we piled into. I had to lower my voice so my singing didn't spill into the instrument mikes. Very intimate. Gives the vocals a kind of sweet edge, making the St Louis Blues particularly heartfelt.

And a southern gentleman strolls in on the second half of Carolina In The Morning. Don't know where he came from but I instantly liked him and he's stayed in the act ever since.

I believe in never playing the same song the same way twice, because I can't. So I've put in alternative takes of a couple of songs for you. The drummer went all tango in the third chorus of one take of Am I Blue.

We sincerely trust you’ll enjoy, ‘Sweet Sue.’ And if you do, contribute. Buy a track, or two, or the whole album. Huzzah!

Big thanks to...
Saxes (soprano / alto / tenor) and Clarinet - Paul Furniss
Trumpet and Trombone - Al Davey
Guitar - Grahame Conlon
Double Bass - Darcy Wright
Double Bass - Mark Harris
Drums - Lawrie Thompson

Check it out on Bandcamp: http://gregpoppletonandhisbakelitebroad ... dcamp.com/
The Phantom Dancer. Swing & dance from live 1920s-50s radio. Tuesdays, 107.3 2SER-FM Sydney & 2ser.com. Presented by Greg Poppleton since 1985!