Cab Calloway - Swing For Sale

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

shogun

Cab Calloway - Swing For Sale

#1 Post by shogun » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi everybody,
I made a profile because I really need help from the true experts. I've been searching for a copy of Cab Calloway's rendition of Swing For Sale. I know there's also the Mills Brothers version but honestly despite the title, I find it extremely anemic especially in comparison with Mr. Calloway's.

There used to be a video of it on YouTube but it got taken down a year or two ago and I'm kicking myself for not ripping a copy when I had the chance. If anyone knows where I could find it, I'd be most grateful and promise to disseminate it wherever possible to ensure it is not lost to the ages.

And if it helps jog any of your memories, a clip of it can be heard in the old Warner Bros cartoon "Have You Got Any Castles? at 2:26 heard here...
http://youtu.be/ns0RG5GA2_Q?t=2m26s

omsuperhoops

Re: Cab Calloway - Swing For Sale

#2 Post by omsuperhoops » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:42 am

I have a version of it but it is in my crappy sound folder...(its a folder of crappy sounding songs that I PLAN to get better versions of one day...it was recorded off an old VHS tape, I believe (also have no clue what the original name of the video was)...but you are welcome to it. PM me, if you are interested, I'll post it too youtube. I have not gotten into looking for a new version of it, so if you ever find one let me know or maybe one of the other more truly brilliant swing historians will have a better lead for you.. Based on my very quick search through my music channels...it will be a pain in the ass to find if you do not already have it on a record.

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:33 pm

No answer to your question, but I wanted to point out that Harry Roy has a pretty hot and swinging version of Swing For Sale.

Jesse

trev

#4 Post by trev » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:53 am

I'm not convinced that the version in that cartoon is actually Cab Calloway. It sounds more like someone impersonating him.

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 pm

shogun wrote:Hi everybody,
I made a profile because I really need help from the true experts. I've been searching for a copy of Cab Calloway's rendition of Swing For Sale.
I'll ask around.

jOhn
Will big bands ever come back?

lipi

#6 Post by lipi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 pm

I suspect Trev is right, though I'm still hunting for more data.

The Calloway "Swing for Sale" bit in "Have You Got Any Castles?" is taken from an earlier WB Cartoon titled "Clean Pastures" (one of the Censored Eleven, though you can of course find a copy online). Daniel Goldmark's "Tunes for 'Toons" claims one of the Four Blackbirds did the Calloway impersonation. (imdb and wikipedia agree, but wikipedia is directly sourced form Goldmark, and imdb implies it rather than states it explicitly.)

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:00 pm

lipi wrote:I suspect Trev is right, though I'm still hunting for more data.
It didn't sound like CC.

omsuperhoops

#8 Post by omsuperhoops » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:08 am

Is this it?

http://jetbunny.tumblr.com/post/1048288 ... 5-1937-cab

its crappy still. and it sounds like it may be a mash-up...but I have seen this "version" on different blogs and both of them label it as Cab Calloway 1935-1937. However, it is the same exact version on the other sites.

shogun

#9 Post by shogun » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Nice thanks everybody :D Omsuperhoops, is that the same version of which you have a copy? Because I'll happily take an MP3 of that one. Most of my jazz is on record but maybe I can find something on MP3 to give back in return, how would you feel about a really good cover of Old Man River by Ray Ellington?

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:50 pm

shogun wrote:Nice thanks everybody :D Omsuperhoops, is that the same version of which you have a copy?

But that's the Cartoon Calloway version, not the real Cab Calloway.

shogun

#11 Post by shogun » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Eyeball wrote:
shogun wrote:Nice thanks everybody :D Omsuperhoops, is that the same version of which you have a copy?

We can credit the actual vocalist if we can confirm their name.

Eyeball

#12 Post by Eyeball » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:01 pm

shogun wrote:
Eyeball wrote:

We can credit the actual vocalist if we can confirm their name.

Oh. I thought you wanted the real CC doing the tune.

I posted the question on another list, but no one ever replied.