Duke Ellington - It Don't Mean a Thing - live 4-28-45

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Duke Ellington - It Don't Mean a Thing - live 4-28-45

#1 Post by Eyeball » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:55 pm

http://www.myoldradio.com/include/popup.php?id=39159

Good version with some changes from the other well known renditions.
Will big bands ever come back?

philippecrhk

Re: Duke Ellington - It Don't Mean a Thing - live 4-28-45

#2 Post by philippecrhk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:55 pm

I heard it too . It is really very good . Anyway to get it on a playable file ?

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 pm

philippecrhk wrote:I heard it too . It is really very good . Anyway to get it on a playable file ?
I have no idea. Technology has me by the throat.

Here's another place I just stumbled on. Nice tune.

http://mp3gum.com/file/7HKrhTAQ0SY/manh ... a-1938.htm

Surreal

#4 Post by Surreal » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:42 pm

I poked around briefly on those two pages but couldn't find any downloadable files for the music unfortunately. I think both are using flash player that links to somewhere external that I can't see :(

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Surreal wrote:I poked around briefly on those two pages but couldn't find any downloadable files for the music unfortunately. I think both are using flash player that links to somewhere external that I can't see :(
Time for the ol' mic in front of the speaker routine. Haha! Thx for trying!

Surreal

#6 Post by Surreal » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:13 pm

I even tried capturing the flash file and checked my cache, but nada. Maybe someone more technologically inclined can help. Perhaps set your soundcard to capture the output directly (how that's done exactly I'm not too sure... I don't know if you can loop the output directly to a microphone input... there must be a way to do it entirely digitally).

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:58 pm

It's all beyond my skillsets. Maybe one of the guys on here can track it down.
Surreal wrote:I even tried capturing the flash file and checked my cache, but nada. Maybe someone more technologically inclined can help. Perhaps set your soundcard to capture the output directly (how that's done exactly I'm not too sure... I don't know if you can loop the output directly to a microphone input... there must be a way to do it entirely digitally).

philippecrhk

#8 Post by philippecrhk » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:00 am

Ok this is how I did it on my mac. I downloaded Audacity and also a program for it that loops the sound output back called Soundflower.
You play the file and it records the whole radio program, You can then cut it up with audacity into various parts into MP3 or better . The sound quality is not the best though.
I hope it helps.
However the good news is that this was transcribed better on an album its titled: "It Don't mean a thing" with Ray Nance and Taft Jordan , V-Disc Jazz Essentials . Its the same recording just it does not mention Ellington.
I actually played it on Wednesday night and it was well received especially by good dancers who love all the action in Ellington's tunes.
However I find the "Three Cent Stomp" on the radio show even better !!

Eyeball

#9 Post by Eyeball » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:03 pm

philippecrhk wrote:Ok this is how I did it on my mac. I downloaded Audacity and also a program for it that loops the sound output back called Soundflower.
You play the file and it records the whole radio program, You can then cut it up with audacity into various parts into MP3 or better . The sound quality is not the best though.
I hope it helps.
However the good news is that this was transcribed better on an album its titled: "It Don't mean a thing" with Ray Nance and Taft Jordan , V-Disc Jazz Essentials . Its the same recording just it does not mention Ellington.
I actually played it on Wednesday night and it was well received especially by good dancers who love all the action in Ellington's tunes.
However I find the "Three Cent Stomp" on the radio show even better !!
Thx!

zeplin

#10 Post by zeplin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:39 pm

I havent heard this before. Wow so good. Thanks for sharing. Such amazing music and learn seo technique. Duke has such classic style and I really can listen to him all day. Have to dust off all my lp's :)
Last edited by zeplin on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eyeball

#11 Post by Eyeball » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:35 pm

zeplin wrote:I havent heard this before. Wow so good. Thanks for sharing :)
Always happy to share, first time poster!

Eyeball

#12 Post by Eyeball » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:49 pm

zeplin wrote:I havent heard this before. Wow so good. Thanks for sharing :)
Taft Jordan or Ray Nance on trumpet? The announcer says Taft Jordan (of the old Chick Webb band), but it sounds much like the trumpet on the Victor recording. Not sure. Maybe both men are playing on there here and there?

I just played that again and it is terrific! Same chart as the 1945 Victor version with the three girls singing, but Ray Nance is on this one singing and Duke opens up the arrangement to get solo space for the guys, plus a different intro for Ray Nance (or Taft Jordan), plus all sorts of little changes on board like little riffs in the background, saxes behind Nance/Jordan and the trombone are 'new', as is the trumpet section licks. Then the band comes back in with the familiar arrangement. Nance now on violin and then tenor sax by Al Sears and he's got more time to play around. Big ass trumpets at the end and he has a different ending. On the Victor side, he plays this big ol' long, low note, but on here he romps around a bit.

What a treat, huh?

Gonna play it a 3rd time now. :D