One of the greatest Tommy Dorsey sides ever - DEEP RIVER

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

One of the greatest Tommy Dorsey sides ever - DEEP RIVER

#1 Post by Eyeball » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:06 pm

12 INCHES OF HARD DRIVING SY OLIVER SWING!

I COULD NEVER FIND A CLEAN COPY OF THIS ONLINE UNTIL NOW.

FROM 1941~!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lzHOuykuI

* All caps! Damn! Someone please invent a program that changes your entirely written in caps post to normal.
Will big bands ever come back?

trev

Re: One of the greatest Tommy Dorsey sides ever - DEEP RIVER

#2 Post by trev » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Nice. I really like the section that starts at 0:43.

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:40 pm

trev wrote:Nice. I really like the section that starts at 0:43.
Ya - at 43 secs - terrific sax section work.

Had you ever heard this recording before? I hope not, b/c then you had the pleasure of hearing it with fresh ears for the first time. :) Think I'll play it again right now.

btw - I don't think I know you, but i want to say that many many of the Dorsey sides from 1940 - 1942 have this great sound to them, even the pop vocals. Always great writing by Sy Oliver on these TD waxes.

trev

#4 Post by trev » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:07 am

No, I hadn't heard it before. For whatever reason, much of the early 40s Dorsey has not been made readily available, unless you are into Sinatra.

While I like this track, I find the problem with a lot of the Sy Oliver stuff, Lunceford tenure included, is that he often includes compositional quirks that make for less-than-ideal dancing. ...and then there's all that too-sweet Dorsey trombone wailingness.

JesseMiner

#5 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 am

Great hot track! Thanks for reminding me to go back and listen to it. It's featured on one of my all-time favorite Tommy Dorsey collections, Yes Indeed! Highly recommend any and all DJs and music-lovers track down this hard-to-find (aka out-of-print) quality Bluebird collection.

Jesse

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:31 pm

trev wrote:No, I hadn't heard it before. For whatever reason, much of the early 40s Dorsey has not been made readily available, unless you are into Sinatra.
Dorsey collectors have been complaining about this for decades and I'm talking back to the 50s! When the chronological TD ob Bluebird LPs came out, collectors were really bummed out when they stopped the series at 1939. The 'best stuff' was right around the corner. Over the years, I was able to get many of the best instrumentals scattered over various LPs and quite a few 78s, but i always wanted to restored set of all of them. Oh, well....
While I like this track, I find the problem with a lot of the Sy Oliver stuff, Lunceford tenure included, is that he often includes compositional quirks that make for less-than-ideal dancing. ...and then there's all that too-sweet Dorsey trombone wailingness.
Tell me of these quirks. Piano solos?

Not sure of the TD "wailingness" problem. Can you explain? His solos on hot platters usually do not slow the side down. he plows right through on Deep River.

Thx!

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:35 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Great hot track! Thanks for reminding me to go back and listen to it. It's featured on one of my all-time favorite Tommy Dorsey collections, Yes Indeed! Highly recommend any and all DJs and music-lovers track down this hard-to-find (aka out-of-print) quality Bluebird collection.

Jesse

That TD/SO CD got by me! I think. When I had my store, there was always the temptation to sell a CD b/c you knew you could re-order it, but sometimes it had been c/o by the time you went to get one for yourself. I lost a great Red Norvo on RCA that way. Beautiful 50s tracks. C'est la vie, eh?

Eyeball

#8 Post by Eyeball » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Great hot track! Thanks for reminding me to go back and listen to it. It's featured on one of my all-time favorite Tommy Dorsey collections, Yes Indeed! Highly recommend any and all DJs and music-lovers track down this hard-to-find (aka out-of-print) quality Bluebird collection.

Jesse
Here's another one djs/dancers may like - PARAMOUNT ON PARADE which is a 'swung up' version of the Paramount news reel theme that began each film back in the 30s and 40s approx. Jumpy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8lqDu7CYQ

trev

#9 Post by trev » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:23 am

Eyeball wrote:Tell me of these quirks. Piano solos?
To use this song as an example, (not the best example of what I mean) - the double break at 0:57 - can make it less dancefloor-friendly. But don't get me wrong, I love Sy Oliver's work.
Eyeball wrote:Not sure of the TD "wailingness" problem. Can you explain? His solos on hot platters usually do not slow the side down. he plows right through on Deep River.
I diagree - His sleepy, smooth trombone solo starting at 1:04 is the sort of thing I'm talking about. It's meandering and in my view sucks the rhythm out of the song. Not to say he was not an excellent player, just that in my view this particular style is the opposite of "hot".

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:36 pm

trev wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Tell me of these quirks. Piano solos?
To use this song as an example, (not the best example of what I mean) - the double break at 0:57 - can make it less dancefloor-friendly. But don't get me wrong, I love Sy Oliver's work.
Eyeball wrote:Not sure of the TD "wailingness" problem. Can you explain? His solos on hot platters usually do not slow the side down. he plows right through on Deep River.
I diagree - His sleepy, smooth trombone solo starting at 1:04 is the sort of thing I'm talking about. It's meandering and in my view sucks the rhythm out of the song. Not to say he was not an excellent player, just that in my view this particular style is the opposite of "hot".

"double break" - OKeh - I see you point there. How did dancers get by that stuff back in the day?

TD solo there- Ya - I see what you are saying. You want it hotter.

thx!