The Lounge Bar Lotharios 1920s Dance Orchestra

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

phantom dancer

The Lounge Bar Lotharios 1920s Dance Orchestra

#1 Post by phantom dancer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:18 am

Here's a YouTube short of the 1920s-style dance orchestra, The Lounge Bar Lotharios, which I hope you'll enjoy for both the music and dancing.

The short was directed by Chicago-born, Sydney-based director, Justin Lane. It was filmed at a live concert by the orchestra at the Glen Street Theatre in Sydney.

The song is, 'Breakaway', or, 'Let's Do The Breakaway', colloquially, written by Arthur Kay for the Fox Movietone Follies of 1929, a lost film.

The Lounge Bar Lotharios play the songs that made the Roaring 20s roar. And in its short existence the orchestra has already played some massive shows including the 1920s themed Gala Dance for the Centenary Celebrations of the Australian capital, Canberra.

The orchestra is lead by myself, Greg Poppleton (singer). The musical director, Geoff Power (gold trumpet), has toured the U.S. 9 times and recorded with Vince Giordano.

The dancers are the Sydney SwingKatz, lead by James Star.

I hope you enjoy Breakaway by The Lounge Bar Lotharios: 'Let's Do The Breakaway'
The Phantom Dancer. Swing & dance from live 1920s-50s radio. Tuesdays, 107.3 2SER-FM Sydney & 2ser.com. Presented by Greg Poppleton since 1985!

Eyeball

Re: The Lounge Bar Lotharios 1920s Dance Orchestra

#2 Post by Eyeball » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Sorry, but I cannot understand what he is singing. The 'tinny' period re-sound has limited appeal for me.
Will big bands ever come back?