Record Label Guide [from SONH DJ Summit]

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mike

Record Label Guide [from SONH DJ Summit]

#1 Post by Mike » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:01 am

The book I mentioned at SONH is called The American Record Label Book (The Roots of Jazz) by Brian Rust. Looking on it now, it covers everything up to the mid-forties. It is indeed out of print, but can be found occasionally on ebay.

This guy is also responsible for the 2000-plus page American Dance Band Discography 1917-1942, which is also out of print but may be the direct descendant to Jazz and Ragtime Records (1897-1942), which is currently available for a hefty sum.

Bob the Builder

#2 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:43 am

Thats exeactly what I've been looking for.
Remorgage the house time.

Bob

Yakov

#3 Post by Yakov » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:39 am

wow... could you say a little something about the contents of that book?

Mike

#4 Post by Mike » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:44 am

I don't own the book, but now that I am reading about it, it appears that there is a better resource that covers the same subject, and more importantly is in print. It's called AMERICAN RECORD LABELS AND COMPANIES: An Encyclopedia (1891-1943). Comes with a CD-ROM and is affordably priced! From swazoo.com about the previous version: "This book gives the history of many different American record labels and record manufacturers, as well as the genealogy of the record companies (it's full of buy-outs, splits, and mergers)." ... and about the current version: "It's more complete, and it comes with a CD-ROM with a database of labels, with pictures and information about each label's genealogy. It is the best book I know on the subject."

The aforementioned Jazz and Ragtime Records book is all discographical information. Swazoo says "Everyone who collects vintage jazz should have a copy of this two volume set." I think I'll have to save up for it.

Bob the Builder

#5 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:09 pm

Check out ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=29223

The American Dance Band Discography Vol. 1&2
12 hours 48 mins left.
Starting bid US $550.00