"The Greatest Jazz Films Ever" - youtube

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Surreal

"The Greatest Jazz Films Ever" - youtube

#1 Post by Surreal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:26 am

I came across this on another forum and figured I'd share it here. It's a solid two hours...
part 1: http://youtu.be/HZJx33i63LM
part 2: http://youtu.be/1wN4ca7gr1E

Here's a copied blurb for part 2. I don't have one for part 1...
I'm a subscriber to "Jazz on the Tube" and I confess that I don't have or take the time to watch every video that shows up in my mail box every day, some of them that I do are nothing short of awesome.
This is one of them.
A little over an hour long and worth getting your jazz lovin' friends together for an evening of heaven.
Here's the TOC that Jazz on the Tube provided;

It all starts with Count Basie and a group of all-star friends

Thelonious Monk takes over at around 23:00

At 27:00 Jimmy Rushing comes in and the host lists the personnel from the Basie band.

At 33:00 Billie Holiday with an incredible all-start cast

At 42:00 Jimmy Giuffre trio

At 49:00 a two clarinet small band

At 52:00 the credits of all the musicians come up

At 54:00 the Ahmad Jamal trio

At 1:04:00 Ben Webster fronts "Chelsea Bridge" and "C Jam Blues"

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm

It looks much like the famous CBS broadcast THE SOUND OF JAZZ from 1957.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sound_of_Jazz

Open All Night (aka Fast and Happy Blues) - Count Basie All Stars: Emmett Berry, Doc Cheatham, Joe Newman, Joe Wilder (tp); Roy Eldridge (tp, flhn); Vic Dickenson, Benny Morton, Dicky Wells (tb); Earl Warren (as); Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster (ts); Gerry Mulligan (bs); Count Basie (p); Freddie Green (g); Eddie Jones (b); Jo Jones (d)
The Count Blues - Basie, Green and E. Jones playing as John Crosby introduces the show.
Wild Man Blues - Composed By Louis Armstrong, Performed by: Henry "Red" Allen, Rex Stewart (tp); Pee Wee Russell (cl); Coleman Hawkins (ts); Vic Dickenson (tb); Milt Hinton (b); Danny Barker (g); Nat Pierce (p)
Rosetta - Composed by Earl "Fatha" Hines and William Henri Woode. Personnel same as Wild Man Blues.
Dickie's Dream - Same personnel as Open All Night
Blue Monk - Thelonious Monk (p); Ahmed Abdul Malik (b); Osie Johnson (d) (does not appear on 2003 idem DVD release)
I Left My Baby - Jimmy Rushing (v), with Count Basie All Stars (personnel same as Open All Night)
Fine and Mellow - Billie Holiday (v), with Mal Waldron All Stars: Roy Eldridge, Doc Cheatham (tp); Vic Dickenson (tb); Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Lester Young (ts); Gerry Mulligan (bs); Mal Waldron (p); Milt Hinton (b); Osie Johnson (d)
The Train and the River - Jimmy Giuffre Trio: Jimmy Giuffre (cl, ts, bs); Jim Hall (g); Jim Atlas (b)
Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gave to Me (appears on idem DVD release, 2003), performed by Jimmy Giuffre, Pee Wee Russell (cl); Jo Jones (d); Danny Barker (g); Milt Hinton (b).
Will big bands ever come back?