Duke Who?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

remysun

Duke Who?

#1 Post by remysun » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:07 pm

So I'm at a dance, a couple of us do shots at a bar, I get a D.C. quarter and say, "Kind of appropriate for tonight." They ask why and I show that the tails side is a tribute to Duke Ellington.

"Duke who?"

Okay, we're dealing with a new crowd here, born after 1980, maybe I've got shirts that are older.
Question is, what's a good set list to educate them, not only the classics, but some modern covers to show some relevance to today's music. Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" is obvious, showing the Duke's influence on Motown. Anything else?[/i]

Surreal

#2 Post by Surreal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:33 am

Forget 80's, most of the kids in the scene here are 90's babies... nevermind the Duke, they've never even heard of Stevie Wonder.

I think the only "modern covers" that might fit in their timeline is the electroswing stuff these days. Everything else is old enough that you might as well skip it and go straight for the originals.

StrangeFlow

#3 Post by StrangeFlow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:08 am

lol. it is unfortunate, but it does seem like that. but i think it always feels that way with every new generation.. im sure there are some 90sbabies who are ALL about duke ellington and artie shaw and glenn milller, etc etc etc... if not, should just force em to hear it! I feel like "I'm getting sentimental over you" plays all the time on every swing / jazz station I listen to, an I know the tune by name (and by lyric) but they almost Neeeever say what it is. They need to shout it at people.

remysun

#4 Post by remysun » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Surreal wrote:nevermind the Duke, they've never even heard of Stevie Wonder.
Motown will never forget Stevie Wonder, it's just music that parents listen to.

Surreal

#5 Post by Surreal » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:16 pm

So one of the new girls (1st or 2nd year uni, I dunno they all look like kids these days) runs up to me the other day with her ipod and one half of her earbuds...

her: oh my god, you have to hear this song!
me: *hesitantly takes earbud*
her: it's this new style of music, they call it electroswing!
me: *sloooowly putting the earbud in*
her: isn't it awesome? *dancing around*
me: oh I've heard electroswing before, it's been arounds a few years now
her: really? I need to find more
me: sounds like a Billie Holiday loop in there
her: who?
me: Billie Holiday, the singer...
her: ....?
me: from the swing era... hence why they call it "electroswing"...
her: *eyes wide* oh. my. god. They use, like, the old stuff for this? That is awesome! Awesomer!

She then proceeds to dance away to the sounds in her head. Ah kids these days.