Is it your kind of swing?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Anthonyjazzcom

Is it your kind of swing?

#1 Post by Anthonyjazzcom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi all

I am a songwriter/singer of swing music and want to join the site to read, and participate, in discussions on swing music. I also want to gain a better understanding of what swingdjs are listening to and want they want to play.

I just released an album with original material and expect to get all of the songs on youtube, eventually. Right now I have 2 videos (only one of the two is swing). The "swing" music I am referring to is post WWII, early 50s (classic pop). So, the "sound" is retro and focuses on melody as well as lyrics. I call it "Boutique jazz".

I'd like welcome each you to visit my website and have a listen. I'd enjoy your comments, especially about where you think styles of music are headed and whether the style on the album might have a future.

Again, I'm looking forward to your comments being focused on whether this style of swing might have a future, and not so much as to whether you like my music (I already assume it won't appeal to a number of you, and that a few might find something you enjoy).

If your comments contain some "pointy edges" and you'd prefer to direct them to me privately my email address is:

anthony.jazz@rocketmail.com

My website is: www.anthonyjazz.com

Thanks for allowing me to join swingdjs.
Anthony

caab

#2 Post by caab » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:46 pm

I hate to be the first one to post, but about 95% of the music I DJ is pre-WWII or later/modern music played in that style. It's my jam. Perhaps some other DJ's with broader taste will chime in...

Anthonyjazzcom

#3 Post by Anthonyjazzcom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for your candor, caab.

When I joined, I was wondering whether this site was more pre WWII. I wasn't sure.

I have a few songs that the Lindy crowd might enjoy, but I didn't record them. Perhaps at a future date (I won't quit my day job in the interim).

So, are most of you on swingdjs into pre WWII?

Does 50's swing (classic pop) appeal to anyone here, or the people you play for?

penguin

#4 Post by penguin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:25 am

Jazz is a pretty broad church and we "swing djs" only take a fairly small slice of that pie. I wouldn't get too hung up about discussions of genre (us jazz nerds could probably debate genre until the cow cow boogie comes home), how you choose to label your music is more a function of marketing than of which (subjective) classification it fits in.

Even when we talk about the pre-WWII era, we're not really specifying well, there was plenty of music played and recorded then that we would never really play for lindy hop dancers. I think someone on yehoodi mentioned to go look up ILHC videos for an indication of the sort of music our community favours.

On the other hand many forms of jazz do seem to be growing in popularity, with the interest in shows like Boardwalk Empire and many popular artists recording 'jazz' albums. The two songs I listened to sound like they fit in reasonably well with a lot of other contemporary jazz I hear, so I would expect that there is a market for the music you're recording. However as others have suggested I don't think there would be much of a market with lindy hop dancers. And that's probably for the best, we're a really small market and there's only a handful of bands for who lindy hoppers form any more than a small part of their revenue stream.

All the best with your music though!

Anthonyjazzcom

#5 Post by Anthonyjazzcom » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 am

Thank you, penguin.

After reading the comments at swingdjs, and yehoodi (a member of yehoodi emailed me and recommended I ask members at swingdjs for their opinions) I'll probably continue in the genre (whatever it's called) I've chosen, at least for the time being.

When it comes to the arts/music it's probably best to follow your heart, so I'll stay the course since it seems to make me happiest at this time.

The comments I've received are more helpful than they might appear, they are helping me to formulate the direction for future material I write.

Thanks.

Anthonyjazzcom

#6 Post by Anthonyjazzcom » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Hurricane Sandy Victims To Receive Donation From Singer/Songwriter Anthony

For Immediate Release

FREEHOLD, N.J./EWORLDWIRE/Dec 17, 2012 --- Anthony, songwriter, solo male vocal artist,and native of the Jersey Shore town, Monmouth Beach, will donate net proceeds from his newly released album, "From the HIP" to both Save the Children and Habitat for Humanity, organizations at the forefront of assisting victims of Hurricane Sandy.

"I spent several days helping my father, who lives in Monmouth Beach, clean up from the destruction of the storm. His basement was totally submerged, as was four feet of the first floor - he was one of the luckier ones," said Anthony. "Each day I drove to his home, I witnessed unimaginable devastation, not only to my hometown but to those in surrounding areas. This is simply my small contribution to helping people get their lives back in order."

Anthony's jazz album contains his new material and was performed by local musicians, some living in the hardest hit towns. "The musicians who played on the CD will be glad to know that their talents will now go beyond their musical contributions and will be a source for helping fellow residents," stated Anthony.

The resumes of the musicians on the album include backgrounds that have played for such notables as Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Stan Getz, Les Paul, Lionel Hampton Big Band, Olivia Newton-John, as well as with Broadway productions.

As for Anthony's vocals, Marc Myers, founder of JazzWax, journalist and contributor to the Wall Street Journal, wrote crisply, "Dig the voice."

"Buyers of 'From the HIP' will be reminded of their assistance to victims of Sandy each time they play the music," added Anthony.

Anthony's interest in jazz began at an early age but only recently became an area of emphasis in his songwriting. His distinctive style is founded on the traditions that created the great American songbook, a genre that is the repertoire of many jazz vocalists and musicians; his current work is attracting positive reviews from the jazz community.

An entrepreneur by nature, Anthony is involved in several businesses and nonprofit ventures.

To preview and purchase the CD, visit http://www.anthonyjazz.com.

MEDIA: A review copy is available by contacting Anthony at 7323329800.

HTML: http://www.eworldwire.com/view_release.php?id=none