((BIG)) Compilation of Swing Samples !

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

StrangeFlow

((BIG)) Compilation of Swing Samples !

#1 Post by StrangeFlow » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Hello, everyone! :D

I thought this would probably be the perfect place to share this... I compiled, cut, and sequenced around 100 different big band / swing samples from old (and some really rare) jazz recordings (and also included a good amount of original and modern beats, too) for anyone interesting in making swing remixes or electro swing, or anything related to these kinds of jazzy swing-based styles... They're all perfectly ready to be used for making songs with, and they're really good too...

(also, they are all public domain, so you can do what you want with them)

Hope you guys enjoy it!!

here: http://bassadelic.com/2012/08/03/big-el ... k-is-here/

StrangeFlow

#2 Post by StrangeFlow » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:31 pm

wow, didn't realize the image wouldn't automatically resize itself to fit the page.... lol, sorry about the overly-huge pin-up girl swingin. :lol:

dogpossum

#3 Post by dogpossum » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:27 am

TB;DR

philippecrhk

#4 Post by philippecrhk » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:58 am

There seems to be very little relation beyond sampling copyright free music (outside the US) between actual swing music and electro-swing (except those that actually play a tune/song) . I sometimes feel that cutting up the music is in no way related to a reinterpretation of the tune by electronic instruments . So far I have only a couple of danceable electro swing but even then they limit themselves to charleston

StrangeFlow

#5 Post by StrangeFlow » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:13 am

philippecrhk wrote:There seems to be very little relation beyond sampling copyright free music (outside the US) between actual swing music and electro-swing (except those that actually play a tune/song) . I sometimes feel that cutting up the music is in no way related to a reinterpretation of the tune by electronic instruments . So far I have only a couple of danceable electro swing but even then they limit themselves to charleston
they limit themselves to charleston? whaaat? Phillip, with all due respect, I think if you're under the impression it mostly limits itself to that, there is a TON of electro swing you haven't heard..

Here's a link to just some of the better tunes I've heard, and yes, it's a link to a site I set up, but I'm not trying to just promote my site, you can ignore this link and just search for electro swing tracks on.. youtube (although with youtube you're going to have to scroll through a lot of garbage lol, which might be why you didn't wanna give this genre a chance? ;)

http://bassadelic.com/2012/07/19/top-te ... ing-tunes/

or, search for Parov Stelar - Catgroove...

or Chinese Man - I've got that groove

Just my opinion, obviously, and feel free to disagree, but respectfully, I would have to say there's a LOT of similarities between electro swing and old swing from the 20s, 30s and 40s...

A lot of those tunes are remixes, but Parov Stelar, and a host of other groups and artists (alot of them from France) are doing original things.

straycat

#6 Post by straycat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:35 am

StrangeFlow wrote: A lot of those tunes are remixes, but Parov Stelar, and a host of other groups and artists (alot of them from France) are doing original things.
But let's face it - however clever and original one might find them (and I confess, in the selection you put together, nothing stands out to me in that sense) - much of the electro swing I've heard involves taking samples, and overlaying some kind of club beat over the top.

As Philip says, this pretty much ruins them for any swing dance purposes. I suppose there's a couple of exceptions, but nothing that I'd choose to use.

I'd love to hear musicians trying this the other way around - trying to recreate swing rhythms and a swing feel with modern instruments and a modern sound (although I have no idea what this would sound like, or if it could actually be done...) - but I've yet to hear anything like that.

chrisbe

#7 Post by chrisbe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 am

straycat wrote:I'd love to hear musicians trying this the other way around - trying to recreate swing rhythms and a swing feel with modern instruments and a modern sound (although I have no idea what this would sound like, or if it could actually be done...) - but I've yet to hear anything like that.
Yes, I would love to hear that as well. Would be interesting!

trev

#8 Post by trev » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:39 pm

straycat wrote: I'd love to hear musicians trying this the other way around - trying to recreate swing rhythms and a swing feel with modern instruments and a modern sound (although I have no idea what this would sound like, or if it could actually be done...) - but I've yet to hear anything like that.
Agreed! This would be a far greater challenge. If you can swing with violins, vibraphones, flutes, kazoos, washboards and hammond organs, where can you take it with the realm of sounds open to electronic music?

philippecrhk

#9 Post by philippecrhk » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:33 am

Yes I agree that it would be great to hear something like that !

StrangeFlow

#10 Post by StrangeFlow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:15 am

straycat wrote:
StrangeFlow wrote: A lot of those tunes are remixes, but Parov Stelar, and a host of other groups and artists (alot of them from France) are doing original things.
But let's face it - however clever and original one might find them (and I confess, in the selection you put together, nothing stands out to me in that sense) - much of the electro swing I've heard involves taking samples, and overlaying some kind of club beat over the top.

As Philip says, this pretty much ruins them for any swing dance purposes. I suppose there's a couple of exceptions, but nothing that I'd choose to use.

I'd love to hear musicians trying this the other way around - trying to recreate swing rhythms and a swing feel with modern instruments and a modern sound (although I have no idea what this would sound like, or if it could actually be done...) - but I've yet to hear anything like that.

Lol. Ok, well, I guess this is just something we disagree on but... First of all, how could it strip a style of music of any potential swing dancing just by putting a modern club beat on it? If it's a swingin rhyhthm club beat (which some electroswing beats have, some don't ) , why cant you swing to it? hahahahaha. The rhyhthms don't HAVE to sound all vinyl-hissy because they're actually from 1931 do they? Even if the present bends back and tries to incorporate elements of a past music, some people still won't be happy. ah well :D

(im enjoying this debate btw, im not pissed off or anything. just wanna point this out :)

straycat

#11 Post by straycat » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59 am

StrangeFlow wrote: Lol. Ok, well, I guess this is just something we disagree on but... First of all, how could it strip a style of music of any potential swing dancing just by putting a modern club beat on it?
The answer's in the question here - it does so by removing the original rhythms which made the music what it is.
StrangeFlow wrote: If it's a swingin rhyhthm club beat (which some electroswing beats have, some don't ) , why cant you swing to it?
hahahahaha. The rhyhthms don't HAVE to sound all vinyl-hissy because they're actually from 1931 do they?
I think we have very different ideas of what makes swing music work for swing dancing. I don't care whether it sounds old or not (see my earlier post) - point of fact, I'd *love* to hear modern-sounding music that swings, and that works for Lindy. If such music exists, however, I've yet to hear it.
StrangeFlow wrote:Even if the present bends back and tries to incorporate elements of a past music, some people still won't be happy. ah well :D
Actually - I'm delighted they're coming out with this stuff. I'm a demanding so'n'so though, and I want them to take it a lot further. I doubt we're going to see it done, if for no other reason than that it'd be incredibly hard to accomplish - but I can dream 8)

StrangeFlow

#12 Post by StrangeFlow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:48 am

:)

fair enough , man. I'd like to see electroswing pushed further too, though. I'd even by down for a bop revival, with 2013-ish bird and coltrane style tripped out electronic music. I think that would excite me even more than 30s big band swing, actually :)