Chick Webb and After Seban

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lindyholic

Chick Webb and After Seban

#1 Post by lindyholic » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:23 pm

So...I have a question.

All of Chick Webb's recordings that one can buy, the earliest I have found is 1929. Whether that is when the band formed or not I am not sure.

Now, I have seen the After Seban clip too many times to count because it's so rad, but, it was recorded in 1927 (at least that is what I have come to find out about it). It also says that it is Chick Webb's band in the background there. Is this true or could it possibly be another band?

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Travis

#2 Post by Travis » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:01 am

Everything that I have read states that it is Chick Webb's band.

Oh, and I believe it is After Seben (not Seban).

main_stem

#3 Post by main_stem » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:18 am

Chick Webb was leading bands since around 1925. It's not surprising that his first recoding were not made till 1929. Just because you had a band didn't mean you got recorded. Also he didn't start his residency at the Savoy till 1931
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Soma-Guy

#4 Post by Soma-Guy » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:32 pm

I'm pretty sure its Chick Webb's band. I've heard that from more than a few sources. At the back of Stearn's "Jazz Dance" that's who he labels the band as being. . .

Joel

funkyfreak

#5 Post by funkyfreak » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:19 pm

main_stem wrote:It's not surprising that his first recoding were not made till 1929. Just because you had a band didn't mean you got recorded.
Especially as a black band, even more hurdles then many others before being able to record.

-FF

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:20 am

Hey Harrison - I was searching the Web for Webb (ha ha) to see if there was any answers to your question and I found this nice picture.

Thought you would enjoy it.

funkyfreak

#7 Post by funkyfreak » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:28 am

I'm an appreciator of Charles Peterson, I have a book of his photographs with articles and titles written by W. Royal Stokes. It's excellent for more than just the photographs: Swing Era New York
Library Journal wrote: This volume offers a compilation of photographs taken in New York City between 1935 and 1951 by Peterson, who began his career as a jazz guitarist and later became a professional photographer. The clear and well-composed pictures demonstrate his keen eye for capturing the camaraderie and intensity of the New York jazz scene.

Among the more interesting subjects are the images of racial integration of the jazz scene, at a time when segregation was still prominent in society. Jazz critic/historian Stokes provides adequate background information, and the book is well indexed.

Jazz aficionados and scholars alike will find much to study and appreciate. Recommended for large public collections and academic collections.
-FF

CafeSavoy

Re: Chick Webb and After Seban

#8 Post by CafeSavoy » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:56 am

lindyholic wrote:So...I have a question.

All of Chick Webb's recordings that one can buy, the earliest I have found is 1929. Whether that is when the band formed or not I am not sure.

Harrison
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/encyclopaedia/w/W40.HTM
"To NYC '24, formed band '26, first record '27 not issued;"

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~michaelp/interview.html
© DOWNBEAT Inc
June, 1962
Double Play: Carney to Hodges to Ellington
By Don DeMichael

"I'd been with Chick Webb," he said, "You see, Duke started Chick, gave Chick his first band. Duke was working at the Kentucky Club, six pieces. Another club opened up on 50th Street and Seventh Ave. I don't remember the name of it. But I wanted a band just like Duke's. So he asked me to have a band, and I didn't want any part of having a band. He asked Chick. (Chick would stand on a corner and sing whole arrangements.) We got together with six pieces and tried to make it sound like Duke. We did pretty good until we had had a fire. During that time fire was common in clubs. We went up to the Savoy for two weeks. Stayed about six months.

lindyholic

#9 Post by lindyholic » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:29 pm

djstarr wrote:Hey Harrison - I was searching the Web for Webb (ha ha) to see if there was any answers to your question and I found this nice picture.

Thought you would enjoy it.
Yeah, I've seen that picture before, it's one of my favs.

Thanks everyone, I just know that I have seen sources that weren't right before, that's why I wondered, but it was true, so thanks!

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Toon Town Dave

#10 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:20 pm

The liner notes in my Chrono. Classics '29-'34 CD include the following:
The initial pair of recordings was made in the summer of 1929 with Chick Webb's first regular group, issued as by the "Jungle Band". A single track from 1927 with his "Harlem Stompers" remains unfortunately untraceable. ...