Al Donahue CDs in Australia(!)

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

anton

Al Donahue CDs in Australia(!)

#1 Post by anton » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:12 am

Could someone living in Melbourne please help me get a hold of these rare Al Donahue CDs?

http://www.musicaustralia.org/apps/MA?f ... 1=Anywhere

I'm only half serious. But I do wonder who released these CDs and if they contain any good songs. Like, AD's version of Tuxedo Junction.

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:45 am

Maybe we should have a thread where people can ask others to help them get CDs that are unavailable in their own country.

There are some Swedish discs that I really want...

anton

#3 Post by anton » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:49 am

Let me know if you want me to locate some discs for you.

Haydn

Re: Al Donahue CDs in Australia(!)

#4 Post by Haydn » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:34 am

anton wrote:Could someone living in Melbourne please help me get a hold of these rare Al Donahue CDs?

http://www.musicaustralia.org/apps/MA?f ... 1=Anywhere

I'm only half serious. But I do wonder who released these CDs and if they contain any good songs. Like, AD's version of Tuxedo Junction.
That's an interesting site from the National Library of Australia. Looks as though the CDs are Australian releases. There's no way that I can see to hear sound samples. It looks as though you'd have to go to a library in Australia to use or borrow one though.

Maybe you could do a separate internet search for the CDs - they say they're issued by 'Lyric Records'.

anton

#5 Post by anton » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks, Haydn - I missed the bit about Lyric Records, a label operated by one Goeff Orr. Its website www.lyriccds.com.au is dead. Do our Australian friends have more info?

trev

#6 Post by trev » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm not in Victoria to be able to look at those library copies, but i'll do some sniffing around.

lipi

#7 Post by lipi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 pm

anton wrote:Let me know if you want me to locate some discs for you.
Thanks for offering. :o)

If you find yourself in a store, and remember, maybe you can see if they have any of these (for, say, 20 euro or less each):

Bent Persson, "Armstrong Hot Choruses for Cornet" (on Kenneth Records) (three volumes on CD)
http://www.classicjazz.se/content/view/7/20/
"Small Band Swing Made in Sweden" (two volumes on CD)
http://www.classicjazz.se/content/view/2/3/

They're not for sale in the U.S., and I've only seen one (of the Bent Persson ones) for $50 on amazon. On top of that, the owner of the record labels that put these out passed away last year, so email to his website goes unanswered. :o(

And no worries if you forget, or don't feel like looking. :o)

Juzz

#8 Post by Juzz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm not in Melb so I cant help you out with obtaining a copy however regarding your question on who released them....

...Lyric Records was run by a guy called Geoff (or Geoffrey) Orr who was an avid jazz collector who had a huge stash of 78s and just old recordings in general who started restoring and re-releasing these old recordings. The 'Silver Service Jazz Band' dedicated one of their album releases to him so I'm unsure if that means he passed away or if they were just honouring him in general.

Yeah I know it still doesnt get you the CD but it was an interesting find nonetheless :)

trev

#9 Post by trev » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 pm

I emailed a bunch of people about the label but have heard nothing back.

dogpossum

#10 Post by dogpossum » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:54 am

Dunno if anyone else has suggested this, but if anyone'd know about this, the The Victorian Jazz Archive would.

trev

#11 Post by trev » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Okay, progress on this. I have Geoff Orr's phone number, and yes, he's still alive! (Apparently he performs as a vocalist with the JW Swing Orchestra)

anton

#12 Post by anton » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:33 am

Cool! Thanks for the update!