The Best Song or Album you DON'T own!

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nando

The Best Song or Album you DON'T own!

#1 Post by Nando » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:03 pm

I'm not talking about a song you downloaded but don't own.

I'm not talking about live music, cause we all know the power that has over a CD.

I'm talking about the best CD song or album you can think of that you don't own, for whatever reason - you can never find it when you have money, bad timing - maybe you had it and lost it. Maybe you found it once on a crappy used vinyl and it was beyond repair. Maybe it's even a song or a jam session that you've never heard, but you've read about like it's some big mytholgical legend. It might even be something everyone else here owns, but you just never got around to getting yet.

The one I can think of off the top of my head is "The Complete Lionel Hampton Quartets & Quintets with Oscar Peterson" Box Set.

Matthew

#2 Post by Matthew » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:49 am

Interesting question. Mine would have to be The Complete Decca Recordings of Count Basie. I've got The Best of Early Basie, which appears to have taken most of its tracks from the Decca recordings. I bought the single CD before I knew about the overlap, so now I'm expanding with other Basie recordings. To that end, today I ordered the Proper set.

As for modern music, that would have to be Electrifyin' Mojo by Groove Terminator. I haven't yet gotten around to ordering it from Australia.

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:02 am

The Metronome All-stars
Willie Bryant (Chronological Classics)

julius

#4 Post by julius » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:01 am

if i don't own it, i haven't heard it, so how would i know i'm missing out?

i suppose the big 18 is on my list, although everybody else already seems to own it somehow. of course i have never knowingly heard anything off the album so i have no idea if it's any good or not.

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:14 am

Widespread Depression Orchestra

I've got Barnyard Boogie on vinyl but the others are eluding me. What makes it worse is that I had a double-LP CD of BB and another album that got destroyed before I backed it up.

falty411

#6 Post by falty411 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:16 am

julius wrote:if i don't own it, i haven't heard it, so how would i know i'm missing out?

i suppose the big 18 is on my list, although everybody else already seems to own it somehow. of course i have never knowingly heard anything off the album so i have no idea if it's any good or not.
I love how you ask and answer your own questions
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Lawrence

#7 Post by Lawrence » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:48 am

julius wrote:if i don't own it, i haven't heard it, so how would i know i'm missing out?

The two Big 18 CDs are must-haves, even if they have been "played." If you have been around, you definitely have heard one or two songs from them.

I somewhat have the same reaction to this thread. This question amounts to a follow-up on the "last 10 purchased" thread: what will the NEXT CD be that you purchase?

"Joe Williams Live" (with "Who She Do" as the first song) will be my next purchase.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Yakov

#8 Post by Yakov » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:11 pm

what is "big 18"? is that a band?

my choice would be the ridiculously expensive import cds by THE CATS AND THE FIDDLE, DELTA RHYTHM BOYS and THE LARKS. i sent proper records an e-mail, maybe they'll do a Box of that tight harmony jazz/doo-wop stuff... man do i love that music

Nando

#9 Post by Nando » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:11 pm

It may not be the Next CD that you buy. Not if it's out of print. I'm sure we all know the best on-line sites for hard-to-get CDs and imports, but we all still browse the record stores.

I suppose I'm a little lazy at buying on-line. Call me old fashioned but I try and control my urges by spending in cash whenever possible.

Another one I thought of - Slam Stewart - the Black and Blue Sessions.

mark0tz

#10 Post by mark0tz » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:33 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :X:ON:US:2

I'm pissed I lost this auction. I really wanted that CD -- as it's been on my wish/notify/etc list for like a year or two.
Mike Marcotte

Lawrence

#11 Post by Lawrence » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:42 pm

Yakov wrote:what is "big 18"? is that a band?
:shock:

The Big 18 is a group of Swing-Era sidemen who were recruited in 1958 to re-record Swing Era hits in hi-fi. They put out two records, which were the product of the same recording sessions: "Live Echoes of the Big Band Era," and "More Live Echoes of the Big Band Era." They comissioned an arranger to arrange the songs to mirror classic era recordings from 20 years earlier (1938).

Charlie Shavers, Rex Stewart, Buck Clayton played trumpets.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

JesseMiner

#12 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:48 pm

Yakov wrote:what is "big 18"? is that a band?
I see Lawrence beat me to it, but I'll post this anyway.

Yes, the Big 18 is a big band composed of swing-era sidemen that got together in the 50s and recorded two albums: Live Echoes of the Swinging Bands (Frankie often uses "Easy Does It" from this album in his classes) and More Live Echoes of the Swinging Bands. Both are definitely great ablums to have, but they are out of print and thus hard to find.

Jesse

Yakov

#13 Post by Yakov » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:22 pm

i like the "related discs" list for the first Big 18 cd:

Various Artists: Sound Effects, Vol. 1: City Sounds
Cozzetti & Gemmill: Soft Flower in Spring
Norman Bridwell: Clifford's Christmas
Various Artists: Colors & Sizes
Stan & Jan Berenstain: Berenstain Bears Go to School
Original Soundtrack: Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time

:lol: :lol:

Travis

#14 Post by Travis » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:19 pm

Metronome All Stars
Mills Blue Rhythm Band

Roy

#15 Post by Roy » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:47 pm

I don't know if it't the best, but it's the stuff that is on top of my list of cd's that I can't find but I want them badly:

Sam Price and his Texas Blusicians, 1942-45 Chrono classic
JR Mance-Softly as a morning sunrise