Australian jazz

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

dogpossum

#16 Post by dogpossum » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:45 pm

It's obviously new CD season. I've just heard about 'Chasing Shadows' by Ultrafox:

Ultrafox is pretty much a line up of Melbourne jazz ninjas: Pete Baylor, Jon Delaney, Kain Borlase, Julie O'Hara, Andy Baylor, Michael McQuaid.

This is a string band, and they're playing
Le Jazz Hot. French gypsy jazz in the infectious style of Django Reinhardt and The Hot Club of France.
They're pretty shit hot. If you like lots of strings with a little bit of wind (lol), you'll like this. They're bloody good.

dogpossum

#17 Post by dogpossum » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Geoff Bull and the Finer Cuts. Three hours in an East Sydney pub every Sunday afternoon, for free. The only thing wrong with this is that there's an even better band playing at the same time in a pub in a suburb a bit too far away.

phantom dancer

The Lounge Bar Lotharios

#18 Post by phantom dancer » Sun May 13, 2012 6:24 am

The Lounge Bar Lotharios is Sydney's newest 1920s Dance Orchestra. Musical Director Geoff Power (who has toured the US 9 times) and 1920s Singer, Greg Poppleton, (who broadcasts The Phantom Dancer) lead Sydney's Top Ten, world-touring, classic jazz musicians

This is a clip with photos and music from our launch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJKXypY6f3Q

The LBL Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TheLoungeBarLotharios

Here's a few pics from the launch...

The Phantom Dancer. Swing & dance from live 1920s-50s radio. Tuesdays, 107.3 2SER-FM Sydney & 2ser.com. Presented by Greg Poppleton since 1985!

trev

#19 Post by trev » Thu May 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi Greg, I think I just used up my monthly download allowance viewing those photos.

phantom dancer

#20 Post by phantom dancer » Fri May 18, 2012 11:56 pm

I'm a big picture sort of man, Trev!
The Phantom Dancer. Swing & dance from live 1920s-50s radio. Tuesdays, 107.3 2SER-FM Sydney & 2ser.com. Presented by Greg Poppleton since 1985!

dogpossum

#21 Post by dogpossum » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:29 am

You can buy the new Geoff Bull and the Finer Cuts EP on bandcamp for, like FOUR DOLLARS: http://geoffbullandthefinercuts.bandcamp.com/. Geoff Bull is old school Australian jazz, the rest of the band are yoofs, some of whom are/were in the Cope Street Parade. This band is pretty bloody good live, but I'd like to see the recorded stuff in a year or two's time. A couple of songs on this EP are really nice.

dogpossum

#22 Post by dogpossum » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:43 pm

This past weekend Melbourne singer Hetty Kate did two really nice sets at Canberrang in Canberra.

She did a truly lovely blues set at a late night and a general lindy hop gig at an afternoon gig at a winery (top shelf gig, that). I only got to hear two songs from the blues set as I was DJing at the same time ( :( ), but it was really magical. She had a light, delicate touch, rather than a gritty, down-low style, and had the dancers mesmerised. I was very, very sorry to have missed out.
I really liked Hetty Kate's stage presence, and her singing style is clear and light and swinging - a real palate cleanser after all those blues shouters.

You can buy Hetty Kate's CDs at that website, or her (more danceable) stuff with the Irwell Street String band from their site. The Irwell Street band is stuffed full of really good Melbourne musicians. Hetty Kate tours internationally a lot, so if you can, I'd seek her out if she comes to your town.

StrangeFlow

swing down under

#23 Post by StrangeFlow » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:53 am

Say! I didn't realize there was much swing down under! :)