Artie Shaw - 77 albums for sale

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CountBasi

Artie Shaw - 77 albums for sale

#1 Post by CountBasi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:04 pm

It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:34 pm

I saved the image for reference!

CountBasi

#3 Post by CountBasi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Yeah I thought you might appreciate the collage :)
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 pm

CountBasi wrote:Yeah I thought you might appreciate the collage :)
Great for reference and nostalgia.

My first Shaw LP was "Reissued by Request" on RCA. Had a maroon cover. I remember the day I bought it. My friend said, "Who's that?" HA!

That green cover "September Song" on RCA Camden was likely the 2nd Shaw LP I bought.

What I didn't know until recently was that the LP had several alternate takes on it, so I grew up thinking that those were the original issues.
Will big bands ever come back?

timbo

#5 Post by timbo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:54 am

just bought em!!!! £150........... looking forward to hours and hours sifting through em......

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:04 pm

timbo wrote:just bought em!!!! £150........... looking forward to hours and hours sifting through em......
Way to go! :)

timbo

#7 Post by timbo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:31 pm

cant wait to get my grubby mits on em.....

CountBasi

#8 Post by CountBasi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Nice one. I'll take my commission via paypal...or

Cheques payable to 'Arthur Daley Enterprises'

timbo

artie shaw

#9 Post by timbo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:24 am

collecting em saturday, hoping to find a few gems in amongst em!!!!
will keep you posted........

Eyeball

Re: artie shaw

#10 Post by Eyeball » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am

timbo wrote:collecting em saturday, hoping to find a few gems in amongst em!!!!
will keep you posted........
They are a good mixture of common LPs and harder to find LPs; great sound quality vs so-so sound quality; plus one of the best recreation in stereo LPs ever done. Best thing is, IIRC, there are no real duds in there...and Shaw had a couple duds in the 50s. He's got one that has a couple speaking 'romantic' dialog or song lyrics as the Shaw orchestra plays in the background. Awful.

But no Shaw LP collection is complete w/o the great RCA issue of "A Man and His Dream" or "Reissued By Request" - same LP with different covers. Great sides perfectly programmed for your musical pleasure with several alternate takes.

Happy listening.

btw - if you hear something you don't like, don't give up on it too soon. Some things take a while to grow on you.

timbo

update

#11 Post by timbo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 am

well, still working my way through em,found a few gems already.
one track i cant stop playing is on a joyce records disc called "film tracks of artie shaw"track 2 side one, called table d"hote (early 1939. its basically a talk through of what makes a swing song, hard to explain but the guy speaking(in a real cool hep way!) introduces the artie shaw layer by layer, describing whats happening, what the musicians are doing and it builds up to a great jumping sound, then into a helen forest track "i have eyes"!

gonna be giving this some play .............

got a couple of blue bird double disc duplicates, but im sure i will find a home for them somewhere. the guy has a room full of thousands of swing albums with some serious rarities, autographed album covers by some of the greats, unreleased acetate/promo discs and some real nice radio sessions on vinyl. im saving up and going back real soon.............

lipi

Re: update

#12 Post by lipi » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 pm

timbo wrote:"film tracks of artie shaw"track 2 side one, called table d"hote (early 1939. its basically a talk through of what makes a swing song, hard to explain but the guy speaking(in a real cool hep way!) introduces the artie shaw layer by layer, describing whats happening, what the musicians are doing and it builds up to a great jumping sound, then into a helen forest track "i have eyes"!
That's the sound track to "Class in Swing":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qdD6RW4WfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDYil0Hfe3Y

Fun short.

timbo

#13 Post by timbo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 am

thats the one, i love it to bits...............

timbo

artie shaw

#14 Post by timbo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:27 pm

hey some of these vinyl albums are valued at ridiculous prices on
various collectors sites. cant be right, some are up at $300 plus????
the blue bird ones have decent prices as well and ive got others that appear to be worth $200 plus. must be wrong, not that im selling, or that i bought em for the wrong reason but i checked out of curiosity, these price must be a load of rubbish............ where do they get these valuations from??
i have some old northern soul viny worth a few bob but i didnt think the market for old swing stuff was the same.l

AV8

New gems?

#15 Post by AV8 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:38 am

New gems eh! Hello mate, buddy, teach etc etc!!!!!
timbo wrote:well, still working my way through em,found a few gems already.
one track i cant stop playing is on a joyce records disc called "film tracks of artie shaw"track 2 side one, called table d"hote (early 1939. its basically a talk through of what makes a swing song, hard to explain but the guy speaking(in a real cool hep way!) introduces the artie shaw layer by layer, describing whats happening, what the musicians are doing and it builds up to a great jumping sound, then into a helen forest track "i have eyes"!

gonna be giving this some play .............

got a couple of blue bird double disc duplicates, but im sure i will find a home for them somewhere. the guy has a room full of thousands of swing albums with some serious rarities, autographed album covers by some of the greats, unreleased acetate/promo discs and some real nice radio sessions on vinyl. im saving up and going back real soon.............