Moten Swing All Night Long

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Serg

Moten Swing All Night Long

#1 Post by Serg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Over the last weekend at SoFlex (South Florida Lindy Exchange), all the DJs who played at the Lindy Room played a version of Moten Swing (with the exception of Abdel). It had to be a different version all the time and different from the versions already played.

The DJs were: Sergio, Izzy, Rayned, Brenda, Natch,Nathan and Nando.

Versions played:

Johnny Otis,Kansa City Band, Oscar Peterson, Jimmy Whitherspoon, Charlie Chavers, Jonah Jones, Fletcher Henderson, Slam Stewart, Ray Anthony, John Burnett, Jennie Lobel, New York All Stars, Peter Davis, Basie Atomic, Basie 37 and Mel Torme.

We let Gordon Webster into the secret and he played a live version as well. Perhaps we are starting a trend here. I felt that we could go on for much longer since we had quite a few other versions.

Next year we will up the ante and have two different songs played per set. We started thinking about songs. We believe it will be In a Mellow Tone and Honeysuckle Rose.

Serg

Roy

#2 Post by Roy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Serg, I played one of those versions you left me off you dirty rotten. Also Natch did not play along and did not play any version all weekend

Roy

#3 Post by Roy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:40 pm

The funny thing is no one outside the DJ's noticed, and by the end of the weekend it was one of the most popular songs to dance too. I think it helped that it does not normally have lyrics so it doesn't stand out.