danceable Louis Armstrong

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#46 Post by Eyeball » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:06 am

Thinking - just about all his big band sides from '35 on were intended as dance music....slow, fast or half-fast.

lipi

#47 Post by lipi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Eyeball wrote: Interesting! You haven't listed a single side from the 1930s when he was working with a big band.

Gotta be some danceable sides from that decade.
'tis true. i prefer the later all-stars and the really early stuff to the big band. i tend to prefer small group things right now.
fredo wrote: All of Me
I Got Rhythm
Stardust
Lazy River
Georgia on My Mind

It doesn't make me want to swing out really hard, but it's dance music for sure :)
o.k., so i've added four of those to my "maybe play this next time" list. :o) didn't like the "i got rhythm" very much, but enjoyed the others.

i'll give the later ('35->) sides that john mentioned a serious listen, too. thanks, guys!

fredo

#48 Post by fredo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:41 pm

oh, and I'd at Jack-Armstrong Blues to your list, if I were you...

Eyeball

#49 Post by Eyeball » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:49 pm

fredo wrote:oh, and I'd at Jack-Armstrong Blues to your list, if I were you...
Oh, God! What a great side! Never heard it until I found a 78 copy years back and my eyes lit up from the first notes.
Will big bands ever come back?

straycat

#50 Post by straycat » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:35 pm

J-h:n wrote:
straycat wrote:Got both from Volume 8 - "1941-42"
I'm not familiar with that series (or, I think, that label) - is it good? (Sound quality, liner notes etc.)
Quality is extremely variable - none are perfect, but some are quite decent, some are appalling (the notes claim that this was down to 'bad transmission and worn acetates', but that they've been included for completeness' sake)

The notes are pretty ... economical. Basically quite spartan, but what there is well-thought out and useful. No words wasted. Some nice sides - I found it worth the purchase.