Longer Jam Songs.

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

turin

Longer Jam Songs.

#1 Post by turin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Hey event DJs,

So I've noticed lately that a lot of jams have been trending toward having one rather long song rather than several shorter songs, especially to live music. Which I think is cool, it really gets the dancers connected to the groove of the song, to the other dancers, and to the crowd.

Couple questions off of this:
First, as DJs, have you tried to mimic this trend? I.e. picking longer jam songs that maybe aren't as blazingly fast as the typical jam song, but really drive? On which point I just came across Ella and the Duke at the Cote D'azure doing "it don't mean a thing" and this is the sort of feel I'm thinking of, and I'm REALLY tempted to play it at our exchange this weekend and se what happens.

Second, how often do you choose the live recording version of one of your "safe" jam songs, if ever (excluding "Shout and Feel It!")? How do live recording versions tend to go over at events you've DJ'ed?

-k

Haydn

#2 Post by Haydn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 am

What sort of jam are you referring to? A birthday/farewell celebration one for one or more individual, or a free for all 'let's show you what we've got' for different couples?

turin

#3 Post by turin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:39 am

The latter. One that might break out at a high energy event

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:48 am

What Haydn said.

For the birthday/farewell/special occasion jam, I usually try to pick something based on how many people there are and how many partner changes I expect. If it's a small group, I may only stick with a 3-ish minute tune. If it's a moderate sized crowd group, maybe 5-ish minutes. If it's a really big crowd I might go with something 7 or 8-ish minutes.

For the show-off style jams, those are organic and I have no idea when selecting a tune if it'll be just a regular dance or a jam so no, I don't choose longer songs. If one starts, I'll try to quickly select two tunes to follow it. One with equal or greater energy and a similar flavor to follow it if the jam looks like it'll continue and one more mellow tune if the jam is flagging. The one I play is a last second decision.

In general, I like live recordings and the selections I play usually go over well.

lipi

#5 Post by lipi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:18 am

Like Dave, I cannot predict when a jam will form, so I steer away from long songs (especially at the higher tempos that are likely to induce a jam).

A band has it a little easier because they can judge when everybody is getting tired, bored, or both, and simply end the song. A DJ is stuck with the remainder (unless you're O.K. with fading, but I've never liked that.)

If you have announced jams or ringers to start one off, then, uh, I still don't know what I'd play. :o) Probably Goodman's "Sing, Sing, Sing", because no matter how overplayed you think it is, it's freakin' awesome.

Re: "It Don't Mean a Thing", I like that particular recording a lot, but I would not play it if I wanted to create a jam. I think it's too mellow, not in tempo but in feeling. It may work fine for you, of course.

Haydn

#6 Post by Haydn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am

turin wrote:The latter. One that might break out at a high energy event
I've never played a song for that sort of jam (or been asked for one). I think it's important to try to respect the other dancers in the room - so if a lot of people aren't really interested in joining in or watching the jam that means keeping it short. If the majority look as though they might enjoy a jam, I would still keep the song short (preferably under 3 minutes), and have another one lined up if they want it. Most high-energy live recordings I can think of are a bit too long, so in general I would avoid them. (I think the most important thing is to keep an eye on the whole room. If a jam 'breaks out' is it just a small group that are into it, or is the whole room joining in ...)

kitkat

#7 Post by kitkat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I haven't had the Cote d'Azur It Don't Mean A Thing inspire a jam yet. So far, people have just ended up social dancing for a long time. Great song.

I am guilty of asking a good visiting dancer to dance, while I was DJing, when I knew that song was on deck. :twisted:

I had fun! (Poor guy!)