20's music - lindy, not charleston

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

20's music - lindy, not charleston

#1 Post by kitkat » Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:46 am

Lindy evolved some time in the 20's, it seems...and there must have been some new path taken in music that made the dance evolve from Charleston to breakaway to what we know now. But when I go to the library and go to record stores and hunt down old albums from the 20's, all I can find that swings is stuff that makes me want to charleston...lindy just doesn't feel right.

But lindy wouldn't have evolved then if there weren't music being produced that made it "feel right."

I assume some of these songs might've been performed live years before they were recorded...

But there've gotta be some lindy-, not charleston-inspiring recordings out there, right?

Help.

yedancer

Re: 20's music - lindy, not charleston

#2 Post by yedancer » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:55 am

kitkat wrote:But lindy wouldn't have evolved then if there weren't music being produced that made it "feel right."
I'm sure Peter could answer this more definitively, but I somehow doubt that people where thinking "let's develop a new dance that 'feels right.'" They were just trying to come up with cool new steps. The original "lindy hop" a la Shorty George is nothing like what people today consider lindy hop, and I think it fit into that late 20's jazz a lot better than the modern styles.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

kitkat

Re: 20's music - lindy, not charleston

#3 Post by kitkat » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:01 pm

yedancer wrote:
kitkat wrote:But lindy wouldn't have evolved then if there weren't music being produced that made it "feel right."
I'm sure Peter could answer this more definitively, but I somehow doubt that people where thinking "let's develop a new dance that 'feels right.'" They were just trying to come up with cool new steps. The original "lindy hop" a la Shorty George is nothing like what people today consider lindy hop, and I think it fit into that late 20's jazz a lot better than the modern styles.
I kind of wondered if that was a reason, but I thought I'd check with people who know more music than I before assuming it.

Heh...I still need to find a dance partner at home interested in getting good at breakaway. :wink:

Bob the Builder

#4 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:58 pm

Have a listen to some of Fletcher Henderson's recordings between 1926 and 1930. You will find some very Lindy'able tracks in their.
Also check out any Kirk between 1928-30. Tracks like Corky Stomp, recorded 1928, I thing (off the top of my head). You can't do anything but Lindy to it. Love DJing it.
And as people have said about. Lindy at this stage was just a Baby. It would have looked and felt very different from 7 or so years later when Swing became pop, and the term Jitterbugging became a part of common language.

Bob