What's the Best Duke Ellington *Book*

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shorty Dave

What's the Best Duke Ellington *Book*

#1 Post by Shorty Dave » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:02 am

Anyone read any of the Duke Ellington biographies? What's the best one? There's of course the autobiography, Music is My Mistress. But I've also heard good things about others, especially "The World of Duke Ellington" by Stanley Dance and "Reminiscing in Tempo: A Portrait of Duke Ellington" by Stuart Nicholson. Any thoughts on any of them.

And while we're at it, any thoughts on Jazz Books in general? What are your favorites?

Thanks!

julius

#2 Post by julius » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:27 pm

Jazz Anecdotes is by far my favorite. It's funny because it was almost the first jazz book I ever read and now that I'm reading many more, I discovered that J.A. got many of its items from earlier books. So it's kind of like a "best of", at least humor-wise.

Lawrence

#3 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:21 pm

I doubt that anyone here can give a legitimate opinion on what the BEST biography is because we haven't read them all. (At least I won't pretend that I have). But I would recommend "Beyond Category: the life and genius of Duke Ellington."
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Yakov

#4 Post by Yakov » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:38 pm

THE DUKE ELLINGTON READER!!!! columbia university press. not a bio, it's a collection of articles. and it's AWESOME. articles of all kinds from magazines of the time. there's one great one that follows him on a tour and he tells stories on the train. and musicological stuff. all kinds of articles. trust me -- it's awesomeness perfectionated

lindyholic

#5 Post by lindyholic » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:51 pm

julius wrote:Jazz Anecdotes is by far my favorite. It's funny because it was almost the first jazz book I ever read and now that I'm reading many more, I discovered that J.A. got many of its items from earlier books. So it's kind of like a "best of", at least humor-wise.
I just bought it for 3.50$ off of amazon used. I am getting it next week, I have heard good things from Ryan. I can't wait to read it. Ryan already told me the story about Eddie Condon and his "progressive jazz" comment hehe.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Shorty Dave

#6 Post by Shorty Dave » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:23 pm

Jazz Anecdotes is the perfect bathroom reading material!

Platypus

#7 Post by Platypus » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:53 am

So is "Hear me Talkin to Ya" (Shapiro and Hentoff).....short anecdotes, divided into chapters about different topics....eg places and people

Mike

#8 Post by Mike » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:30 am

Yakov wrote:THE DUKE ELLINGTON READER!!!! columbia university press. not a bio, it's a collection of articles. and it's AWESOME. articles of all kinds from magazines of the time. there's one great one that follows him on a tour and he tells stories on the train. and musicological stuff. all kinds of articles. trust me -- it's awesomeness perfectionated
This is also my pick... lots of great articles and stories.

Matt Smiley

#9 Post by Matt Smiley » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:44 am

(Full disclosure here: My company publishes this book)

I want to put in a good word for a 2 volume work called "Duke's Diary." This is for the truly hardcore. It is big and it is expensive, but it chronicles everything - every single recording, gig, tour, - every single member of the band for every single performance - every day spent in the studio, etc.

Ken Vail walks us day-by-day through Ellington's professional career. The entries are pretty dry and scholarly - mostly just the bare information - but they are comprehensive, and scattered throughout the book are beautiful photos, advertising posters, newspaper articles & reviews, etc to keep things interesting.

Check it out at:
www.scarecrowpress.com/isbn/0810841193
(there is a 15% if you order online).

On a side note: If you buy this book and you like its style, Vail is coming out with 3 more books in this format later this year or early next year on Dizzy G., Ella, and Basie. They'll be little mini-versions, though - not nearly as comprehensive - just focussing solely on what Vail considers to be the pinnacle of these artists' careers. I haven't seen these maunscripts yet, but I'm interested to see whether he considers Basie's pinnacle to be the new or old testament stuff.

Yakov

#10 Post by Yakov » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:20 am

wow, that sounds great! so i could finally figure out his early, confusing-ass career...

Yakov

#11 Post by Yakov » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:30 am

turns out u of pitt's music library has the two-volume "duke's diary." and it is indeed impressive and impressive. nothing to add to matt's post except that it is true