deep purple artie shaw/helen forrest
so long helen ward/benny goodman
they say artie shaw/helen forrest
frost on the moon chick webb

anton

Re: Beautiful swing ballads for dancing

#17 Post by anton » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:25 am

Eyeball wrote:
Eyeball wrote: PENNIES FROM HEAVEN - Bobby Hackett w a small group circa 1946. This was on some obscure label which I cannot remember the name of, but he aces it and it is a master piece.
Very nice. Available on the Bobby Hackett 1945 Chrono Classics.

How's the sound on that CC reissue? I still have my cassette dub of a lesser condition 78.
Melrose was the original label.

Hmm, actually I have this on Mosaic 170: Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions, which came out in in 1997, two years before the CC disk. However, the remasters are IDENTICAL...

On the alternative take, he does screw up the solo in a few places.

Eyeball

Re: Beautiful swing ballads for dancing

#18 Post by Eyeball » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:39 am

anton wrote:
Eyeball wrote:
Eyeball wrote: PENNIES FROM HEAVEN - Bobby Hackett w a small group circa 1946. This was on some obscure label which I cannot remember the name of, but he aces it and it is a master piece.
Very nice. Available on the Bobby Hackett 1945 Chrono Classics.

How's the sound on that CC reissue? I still have my cassette dub of a lesser condition 78.
Melrose was the original label.

Hmm, actually I have this on Mosaic 170: Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions, which came out in in 1997, two years before the CC disk. However, the remasters are IDENTICAL...

On the alternative take, he does screw up the solo in a few places.
Ya know - I was thinking "Rose" as the label, but I could not picture the label. Now I can.

Maybe Capitol acquired the Melrose label at one time.

We had a Jazz label here in South Pasadena in the 40s. "Mirror". The address was on the label. Lots of Dixieland titles....at least the few I have come across.
Will big bands ever come back?

Haydn

#19 Post by Haydn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 am

Haydn wrote:1. 'Heart and Soul' composed by Hoagy Carmichael and Frank Loesso. The Larry Clinton/Bea Wain hit version from 1938 is a lovely soft swinging arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdaY-ga ... re=related
I played the Bea Wain/Larry Clinton recording last night, and it seemed to go down pretty well. At abour 105 bpm, it was much slower than most music played that night (the average bpm was roughly 150-160) but I think people just like the tunes to this sort of music and they will dance to it.