First time advice

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

turin

First time advice

#1 Post by turin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:56 pm

So I've been DJing for about four years now, but only local gigs, weekly dances, and some workshops. A few days ago I was invited to DJ at LOTR in Denver, which is awesome. I haven't ever DJed such a big event before, so I was just looking for some advice about things to expect, maybe some of the major differences between larger gigs like this and local events.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

Haydn

Re: First time advice

#2 Post by Haydn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:37 pm

turin wrote:So I've been DJing for about four years now, but only local gigs, weekly dances, and some workshops. A few days ago I was invited to DJ at LOTR in Denver, which is awesome. I haven't ever DJed such a big event before, so I was just looking for some advice about things to expect, maybe some of the major differences between larger gigs like this and local events.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!
LOTR = Lindy On The Rocks

I would just say try to watch the dancers at the event and cater for them. There is a good chance it will be different to your normal crowd. You could also talk to the DJ Co-ordinator at the event and maybe talk to other people who are DJing there. It looks as though they have classes, you could sit in on these and see what sort of music goes down well with the dancers.

trev

#3 Post by trev » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:37 am

I find it's easier to keep the floor full because everyone is there to party. The bigger attendance is nearly always conducive to more dancing and a better atmosphere.

I find the bigger events usually attract a larger number of experienced dancers, so I'm more likely to push the tempos and stray from the safer choices.

Remember that what might be overplayed in your town might seem new to out-of-towners, so don't be afraid of playing your scene's favourites: it's part of what an exchange is about.

But obviously stay aware of what's working and what's not: Too many times I've seen guest DJs persist with their own agenda despite the negative reaction of the dancers.

dogpossum

#4 Post by dogpossum » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:23 am

How excitement!

Trev and Haydn make excellent suggestions. I'd second everything they've said, especially:
- have a chat to the organisers so as to get a sense of what they're looking for. If it's at all possible, see what it is they liked about your DJing that got you invited.
- watch the floor and respond to what you see there, rather than to an idea you might have about the crowd. I find I do a shitty job if I preplan or pre-think sets too much.
- Trev's line about stuff that's old hat your local scene being otherwise for other scenes is really useful. If you know a song works for your local crowd, it could probably work with an exchange crowd, and could be a useful 'safety song' to play if you fuck up at some point.
- I also like Trev's comment about exchange crowds being party crowds - I find they're predisposed to the having of fun, and they're also more interested in unfamiliar music. But I wouldn't take a punt with bizarro stuff (maybe save the Gaga and Glee for the drive home).

I'd also add:
- check your gear and bring backup cables. Make sure everything works. I also avoid getting new software or gear that changes the way I DJ - I like to go to a more challenging gig with strong skills and a familiar procedure. But I tend to get stressy, so that might just be a rule for me to follow.

- I tend to do a more solidly solid job if I keep to the usual habits - work a wave (tempo and energy wise), play some old faves as well as new stuff, work the room rather than an agenda.

- and I usually stock up on some sure-fire crowd-pleasers of moderate tempos (whatever that is for that exchange usually) and good sound quality. I have these ready just in case I fuck up, get a case of the stupid-nerves, am cracking some bad PMT or just don't feel confident when I play. As my partner says, 'people go to exchanges to have fun', and you can bring the fun with a solid set of favourites just as much as with an esoteric collection of rarities. But as Trev says, the happy-endorphine vibe of exchanges can be conducing to testing stuff you don't usually play.

My latest, strangest peccadillo is to always try and DJ standing up (rather than sitting down) at exchanges. I just find it helps me plug into the dancers. But it could also just be a strange, mildly superstitious weirdness.

You'll rock, it, though - DJing bigger events is awesome fun!

keither

#5 Post by keither » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:52 am

dogpossum wrote: - check your gear and bring backup cables. Make sure everything works. I also avoid getting new software or gear that changes the way I DJ - I like to go to a more challenging gig with strong skills and a familiar procedure. But I tend to get stressy, so that might just be a rule for me to follow.
Excellent rules to follow. That also means you should probably start setting your stuff up ~15 minutes before your sets (depending on how good you are with tech & troubleshooting). Make sure that you have music coming out of all the places you expect it by verifying w/ headphones on your laptop, etc. BEFORE plugging into the board.

If you have any kind of system instabilities (your computer occasionally freezes, etc, etc., etc.) make sure you have a backup iPod or CD player that you can switch in if your computer freezes up. If you do have system issues, try to flush them out now. Might also be worth a complete power-down and power-up right before you start. Make sure to clobber any system sounds and turn off your networking before you start playing if you have any concerns.

Bringing your own cables almost always will let you plug into the system while the previous DJ is still playing. If you've got a situation like that, learn enough of a sound board to figure out how to play to the Cue/PFL channel and make sure you've got music making it to the board before you start.

(Of course, I'm the idiot that'll change stuff up right before a gig, so who knows. :) )

timbo

#6 Post by timbo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:53 pm

good sound advice there.............., also try not to worry too much, you have to go and enjoy it as well, this will reflect in how you perform.