Private collection of Bill Savory

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

straycat

Re: Private collection of Bill Savory

#31 Post by straycat » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:04 am

Eyeball wrote:Helps to live in NYC. And to make contributions to the cause of the music. And to be devoted to it and know just about everything about it. And to be chatty with someone in the circle.
Well - that's me stuffed then :(

So how much have you heard?

On a slightly different note, I asked the Mosaic guys about the previously announced (or hinted at) box set, and the response was deliberately very ... vague, but it didn't sound promising, sad to say.

Eyeball

Re: Private collection of Bill Savory

#32 Post by Eyeball » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:46 pm

straycat wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Helps to live in NYC. And to make contributions to the cause of the music. And to be devoted to it and know just about everything about it. And to be chatty with someone in the circle.
Well - that's me stuffed then :(

So how much have you heard?

On a slightly different note, I asked the Mosaic guys about the previously announced (or hinted at) box set, and the response was deliberately very ... vague, but it didn't sound promising, sad to say.
I have not heard any of it. I hobnob on forums with some of the 'connected ones', but I have nothing to offer them. These guys know near everything. I try to contribute, but they have seen it all and heard it all for the greater part. OTOH - many convos online do not interest me much. Lots of esoteric stuff.

I you want to try and hobnob with your 'betters', try reading JAZZ LIVES and JAZZWAX and THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF LOUIS ARMSTRONG. All terrific blogs. Also - consider trying to get on the ToNY email thing. ToNY aka Toast of New York. Major collectors and musicologists and an author or two. It's a Yahoo group. You can learn a hell of a lot.
Will big bands ever come back?