The Swinger hacks any song to... swing

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

penguin

The Swinger hacks any song to... swing

#1 Post by penguin » Wed May 26, 2010 11:22 pm

I'd imagine others have found this by now. Certainly it's only swing with a little "s" and it doesn't work all the time - definitely interesting for those who are interested in "novelty" swing.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/26/the- ... -to-swing/

penguin

Re: The Swinger hacks any song to... swing

#2 Post by penguin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 am

Does anyone happen to have the source code for this? It seems to have disappeared off the interwebz. I need to use it to show some locals that Pharrell's Happy does not, in fact, swing.

straycat

#3 Post by straycat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:51 am

Yes. Grab it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/210 ... ger.py.zip

That's just the python source for the swinger, not for the associated echonest libraries - I'm not sure if it'll work with the up to date versions, so give me a shout if you need the right ones (it'll take me a while to put it together, as I installed it all years ago on my machine, so I'll need to figure out where the installers etc are)

zeplin

#4 Post by zeplin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Awesome. Can't wait to get my swing on. thanks for the freebie guys

Synecdoche

#5 Post by Synecdoche » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 am

Does anyone have this working? Years ago, I tried to install it to re-make the swing-i-fied version of "Every Breath You Take" for a music class I was teaching, but I couldn't get it to work, alas.

straycat

#6 Post by straycat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:57 am

Synecdoche wrote:Does anyone have this working? Years ago, I tried to install it to re-make the swing-i-fied version of "Every Breath You Take" for a music class I was teaching, but I couldn't get it to work, alas.
I do have a working installation, yes. Although I can't quite remember how I did it :)

I can try and figure it out, if you'd like. Alternatively, I can run a track through it for you, if you just want one track done.

straycat

#7 Post by straycat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:08 am

BTW - I've done a few experiments with this thing, mostly for a workshop to help prove the point that a swung rhythm doth NOT automatically make a piece of swing music.

Some work better than others, but my absolute favourite was MC Hammer (U Can't Touch This, of course)
Awful, but hilarious.