Rawls Pays Tribute To Sinatra

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#1 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:42 pm

Coming Soon, Rawls sings Sinatra. Something to offend both the Rawls bashers and the Sinatra haters?

Will it be a hit among the Lindy crowd, over the howls of many people in this group?

Stay tuned...

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. July 24, 2003, 3:45 PM ET
Billboard.com

Lou Rawls has completed a tribute to legendary crooner Frank Sinatra. The song stylist's "Rawls Sings Sinatra" will be released Sept. 9 through Savoy Jazz. Featuring arrangements by Benny Golson, the 12-track collection reunites Rawls with producer Billy Vera. The pair has worked together on seven previous albums, including Rawls' 1989 Blue Note set "At Last," which netted a Grammy nomination for best jazz vocal performance.

"We could've made a five-CD set and still not made a dent in the incredible repertoire of Sinatra classics," Vera says in a statement. "But we've covered all the bases, from the easy swing of [Lew Spence and Alan and Marilyn] Bergman's 'Nice 'N' Easy' to the pumping 'Learning the Blues' to Johnny Mercer's 'Summer Wind.'"

Among the other Sinatra-popularized songs that Rawls tackles are "One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)," "Come Fly With Me" and "The Lady Is a Tramp."

"I treasure the fact that not only did I get to meet him, I got to know him and we got along great together," Rawls says of Sinatra. "It's an honor and a privilege for me to get into Ol' Blue Eyes' catalog."

Rawls is expected to support the release of the album with special appearances and an extensive touring schedule.

Here is the "Rawls Sings Sinatra" track list:

"Come Fly With Me"
"Nice 'N' Easy"
"All the Way"
"Learnin' the Blues"
"That's Life"
"The Lady Is a Tramp"
"Summer Wind"
"The Second Time Around"
"My Kind of Town/Chicago"
"In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning"
"They Can't Take That Away From Me"
"One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)"

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:37 am

ugh. i actually like both artists - frank for being frank, lou for r&b/soul - and i hope this turns out decent.

odds are, though, that some enterprising yahoo will play the worst possible tracks at an exchange near you...

kalman

Yakov

#3 Post by Yakov » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:42 pm