"Secret" Tracks

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

trev

#1 Post by trev » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Perhaps a topic for a separate thread, but I'm thinking DJs having "secret" tracks is actually a good thing. Digital distribution and tools such as Shazam has made it easier to find and get hold of pretty much any track you hear. Is there a risk of Swing DJs sounding too homogeneous, or will taste/skill always prevent things from sounding too similar?

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:55 pm

I think there's a difference between DJs and teachers that use music in a class, especially for a routine, but regardless: yes, I think taste and the huge amount of material to choose from will prevent homogeneity. I like sharing my enthusiasm for the music, and it's harder to do when you keep things secret--especially your best tracks, that you are likely most excited about.

That said, I know some DJs on here have been annoyed when one of their pet tracks got spread all over. :o)

Balboa Chris

#3 Post by Balboa Chris » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:49 am

I remember talking to Kyle Smith some time ago and his attitude at the time was to keep a new track to himself for say 6 months (to get some DJ mileage out of it) and then let others know what it is.
I don't really have a problem with people having secret tracks. It makes the chase more thrilling!!! I know if I stumble across this particular track that I will get a fair old rush. ha ha.
I suppose the main problem would be that very few people would ever get to hear the track, as in this case, it would only be where Fatima is DJing and only then if she decides to play it. Shame really.
Until then, I've been tinkering with the track in Audacity to bring out the music and reduce the claps and stomps in order to better determine what band might have recorded it.

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:40 am

I prefer to share the details of the music I'm playing if anyone is interested. Getting more great music out there benefits the community. As a DJ, I consider the music part of my toolbox. My skill as a DJ is awareness of the music and selecting the music to play from my collection, not having more unique music. There's enough good music available I'm not worried about other DJs adding it to their collections.

Mr Awesomer

#5 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:14 pm

trev wrote:Perhaps a topic for a separate thread...
I concur. :D
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Mr Awesomer

#6 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:20 pm

You kind of look like a dick if you don't tell someone the name of a song that got them excited enough to ask about.

But there are times when you want to keep something on the down low... even if it could probably get picked off with a little Shazam action.

So, what I'll do in that situation is give someone a title/artist that's not quite right... but should at least get them in the right direction. At least that makes 'em work for it a little, and they'll probably find some other good stuff during the search.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

kitkat

#7 Post by kitkat » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:29 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:what I'll do in that situation is give someone a title/artist that's not quite right
You kind of look like a dick saying that. :D

Mr Awesomer

#8 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:02 pm

kitkat wrote:You kind of look like a dick saying that. :D
Probably... but not as much as telling someone at a dance that you won't tell them the name of a song because it's a "secret." Besides, I think it starts them on an important "journey," and there is nothing dick about that.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

lipi

#9 Post by lipi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote: Besides, I think it starts them on an important "journey," and there is nothing dick about that.
That's what Poseidon said. (Any classicists reading this?)

I like the idea of sending people out to look for stuff, and I like your way, but I still feel better just telling them what I just played.

trev

#10 Post by trev » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote: Besides, I think it starts them on an important "journey," and there is nothing dick about that.
I like that.

I'll happily tell anyone who asks the name of the track and artist. Only the really keen ones make a point of remembering it and tracking it down. I have a couple of tracks I have transferred off LPs that I haven't heard anyone else play, and while I like having them as a "secret weapon" I'll happily point anyone in it's general direction: "Yeah it's a Sidney Bechet track I found on an old EP" for example.

dogpossum

#11 Post by dogpossum » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:11 pm

I like having other DJs play music I like - that way I get to dance to it!

Matthew

#12 Post by Matthew » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:27 am

Conversely, there are many tracks I wish could be turned into secret tracks. I am so sick of hearing some tracks...

CafeSavoy

#13 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:43 pm

I press all my secret tracks to vinyl and put on a plain white label. Individual kanjis are brushed onto each pressing.

J-h:n

#14 Post by J-h:n » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:03 pm

dogpossum wrote:I like having other DJs play music I like - that way I get to dance to it!
Word.

kitkat

#15 Post by kitkat » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Y'know what? Come to think of it, one of my favorite tracks is one I never managed to track down after all I got was a title & artist. (And it too was seen on web video being danced to by Harlem Hot Shot members!)

I came really close. The performance was close enough that I stopped searching. But I've never been convinced that what I found is the exact same recording. :-)

Oh well.