"Secret" Tracks

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lipi

#16 Post by lipi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:57 pm

kitkat wrote:Y'know what? Come to think of it, one of my favorite tracks is one I never managed to track down after all I got was a title & artist. (And it too was seen on web video being danced to by Harlem Hot Shot members!)

I came really close. The performance was close enough that I stopped searching. But I've never been convinced that what I found is the exact same recording. :-)

Oh well.
I love this post, because the track remains nameless. It's the ultimate meta-secret-track post. Aces.

anton

#17 Post by anton » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:12 am

Several years ago in Herräng, Chester Whitmore used a great track in one of his classes so I went and asked him about it afterwards. He said it was a really obscure Louis Armstrong side that he had found on an old 78 without label. I searched for that track for almost a year before I found out that it was actually Harry James's 'Flash', but slowed down to fit his routine. He's a funny guy. :)

Gong-Oh

#18 Post by Gong-Oh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:51 pm

The best way to keep secret a track is probably not to play it at all in public. :) On another thread, I mentioned about responses I got from a couple of DJs that in my opinion were tactics not to disclose the truth about their tracks (e.g. "I don't know the titles!").

In my case, I feel that a relevant quota of the stuff I spin (namely Western Swing and Los Angeles contemporary vintage bands) would deserve much better sales. Therefore, I always disclose all the information about the songs I play, if somebody asks me.

Lorenzo

omsuperhoops

#19 Post by omsuperhoops » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Slowing down or speeding a track slighty does just enough to make it unnameable by Shazam or Soundhound. The difference is barely noticeable to the dancers. then if they decide to come inquire you can tell them what you wish.. Just a little tip for those DJ's who REALLY want to keep their stuff secret. Personally, i dont care if they do it, i fuck with the tempo's for fun anyways...

StrangeFlow

#20 Post by StrangeFlow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:16 am

CafeSavoy wrote:I press all my secret tracks to vinyl and put on a plain white label. Individual kanjis are brushed onto each pressing.
took the words outta my mouth, this topic immediately made me think of white labels, hah. :)

dogpossum

#21 Post by dogpossum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Why wouldn't you share music? You don't get a prize for the most obscure songs in your collection. If you're DJing, the gig isn't about you. It's about lindy hop. And the people doing it, not the person standing still in front of a computer or a pile of CDs or records.