Collegiate Shag please?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

HepcatswingJJ

#16 Post by HepcatswingJJ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:46 am

1) Neo-swing is based off of a rock rhythm, not a swing rhythm,

2) The swing rhythm (or pulse) is essential to the feel of the collegiate shag basic,

3) A "fast" tempo doesn't mean a song is automatically a shag song (or a balboa song, etc.). Shag can be done comfortably at around 180 bpm.

In the end, it's all about the feel of an individual recording that dictates how you dance to it, although this is completely subjective. For example, Hal Takier (famous Los Angeles Balboa Dancer) has stated that "Flying Home" is a balboa song. I used to think it was a Lindy Hop song, but after listening to most versions, the song does have a "shuffle" feel to it that does make me think of balboa now.

Collegiate Shag is a dance from the 30's, and is inherently connected to the music of this era (more so than Lindy Hop). Dancing to Neo-Swing, or Rockabilly, or Bebop just doesn't fit.
I agree for the most part ....from a purists point of view anyway, but, let's face it, dance and music are very subjective. Neo swing may not be the optimal music for shag but it is fun! and jf you've never danced balboa to a great hip hop tune or danced fast lindy to punk or metal, you might be surprised by what you're missing.

Capt Morgan

#17 Post by Capt Morgan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 am

HepcatswingJJ wrote:... and jf you've never danced balboa to a great hip hop tune or danced fast lindy to punk or metal, you might be surprised by what you're missing.
I have. Most everyone goes through that phase. Mine was in 2004.

But just how beer and chips gives way to wine and brie, pallet's change with age, so does the ear. I would enjoy dancing much more to any version of Honeysuckle Rose over even the best non-swing song.

lipi

#18 Post by lipi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Capt Morgan wrote:
HepcatswingJJ wrote:... and jf you've never danced balboa to a great hip hop tune or danced fast lindy to punk or metal, you might be surprised by what you're missing.
I have. Most everyone goes through that phase. Mine was in 2004.

But just how beer and chips gives way to wine and brie, pallet's change with age, so does the ear. I would enjoy dancing much more to any version of Honeysuckle Rose over even the best non-swing song.
Fine, but if you're going to be snooty, you should spell "palate" correctly. I spelled it "pallet" back in 1986.

And "Honeysuckle Rose" rocks. And I don't know what non-swing songs are. And I miss Kyle.

Capt Morgan

#19 Post by Capt Morgan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:01 pm

lipi wrote:you should spell "palate" correctly
I have an excuse. I'm an engineer.