Confessing The Blues - A Blues Music Podcast For Dancers

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

keither

Confessing The Blues - A Blues Music Podcast For Dancers

#1 Post by keither » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:59 pm

Hey folks,

[Please feel free to move this post into the correct forum. I couldn't figure out if it was more appropriate here or in the "Other Music" forum.]

I just wanted to announce that DJ Jonathan Pechon (Dallas, TX) and I have started a monthly blues music podcast similar to Hey Mr. Jesse. We were so inspired by what Jesse and Manu have been doing that we wanted to provide that to the blues community.

Our first episode has some great tracks to check out, an interview with Steven "Dr. Feelgood" Watkins, a track from Kim Massie and more.

Please check it out and let us know what you think:
www.confessingtheblues.com

keither

#2 Post by keither » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Episode #2 is now available at http://www.confessingtheblues.com/!

This month, we’ve got new music for you to check out, more events to go to, an interview with DJ Heather Adams, a track from Solomon Douglas, a feature on early female blues vocalists, discussion about the intersection of jazz and blues for dancing, some great feedback and more!

keither

#3 Post by keither » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:55 am

Episode #3 of Confessing The Blues is out! (Better Nate than lever, I say!)

This month, we’ve got new music for you to check out, more events to go to, a feature on Austin record label Dialtone Records, a discussion about jump blues, full tracks from Jonno Zilber and Little Joe Washington, and all international feedback! Get on it, cause, it was seriously worth the wait!

http://www.confessingtheblues.com/

keither

#4 Post by keither » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Arriving a few days late (due to the holiday), November’s episode of Confessing The Blues is out. We try to do a “short” episode and instead spend quite a few minutes addressing audience feedback. We’ve also got some new tracks for you and a couple of fun novelty tracks that are blues influenced.

keither

#5 Post by keither » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:14 am

Well, it was a busy holiday season and I didn't get the chance to announce episode #5. If you haven't had a listen, sure, it's a little late for 2009, but there's nothing wrong with starting the year with a little reminiscing.
Arriving just in time for the holiday, here’s December’s episode of Confessing The Blues. We skip the controversy this month and instead feature some new music from eMusic, the 2010 Grammy nominees for Best Traditional Blues Album, and finish up with some holiday themed music, including a full track of Chanukah blues! Happy holidays!
Check it out!

keither

#6 Post by keither » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:14 am

Okay, so I haven't posted here in ages, but there are THREE episode available to listen to since the last post.

Check them out -

Ep #6 has a great feature on how to deal with taking those "non-blues" songs that people have gravitated toward and get the same effects with actual blues.

Ep #7 has a Valentine's day feature on songs about jelly roll and an answer to the question about how work songs relate to blues.

Ep #8 goes into faster blues and why we don't normally hear them at blues dance events. We also highlight instrumental blues in a variety of styles.

And of course, in addition to your normal helping of Jonathan and I running our mouths, you get a ton of great music to listen to!

Check it out:

anton

#7 Post by anton » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:10 am

I just wanted to say that I like your show a lot - you are totally focused on explaining and analyzing the *music* and stay within the genre all the time.

Who will pick up the gauntlet and do a similar show about classic swing music?
Last edited by anton on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

dogpossum

#8 Post by dogpossum » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:33 pm

I should've posted earlier, but forgot.
I really liked the ep with the big long interview with...someone who's name I've forgotten.

...ok, so this wasn't a very great post, but I keep thinking about that interview, and figured I should post _something_ about it. It's worth a listen, if you haven't already heard it.

I'm really impressed by _any_ radio show that manages to happen every month. I find it difficult enough to _listen_ every month - I can't imagine _making_ one every month!

keither

#9 Post by keither » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:03 pm

The long interview was with Steven "Dr. Feelgood" Watkins who is currently in Oakland, CA.

And yeah - the monthly format can be a real challenge. I keep thinking, though, if I were to ever want to get on live FM radio, that I wouldn't have the luxury of pushing out when things were busy.