New CD by the Solomon Douglas Swingtet

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Solomon

New CD by the Solomon Douglas Swingtet

#1 Post by Solomon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:44 am

I'm very excited to announce the availability of the second CD by my ten-piece orchestra, the Solomon Douglas Swingtet. The CD is called Live at the Legion, and includes 16 songs (more than an hour of music) recorded live at the "Stomp It Off!" dance in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Every song on the album is great for lindy hop, blues, or balboa dancing.

You can hear excerpts from all 16 tracks and order the CD, on my website: http://solomondouglas.com/buy_CD.html . You can also order the t-shirt at http://solomondouglas.com/buy_merchandise.html .

Live at the Legion includes our versions of some old hot jazz from the 20s (Benny Moten's "South", Jelly Roll Morton's "Buffalo Blues", Ellington's "Saturday Night Function", and Bix Beiderbecke's "Singin' the Blues"), some really swinging 30s music (Ellington's "Rockin' in Rhythm", Basie's "Shorty George"), and lots of great 50s Basie (such as "Splanky", "One O'Clock Jump", and "Two for the Blues").

The band on the new album is an all-star lineup including Vancouver trumpet sensation Bria Skonberg, legendary Seattle drummer D'Vonne Lewis, New York trombone wiz-kid and recording engineer Eric Heveron-Smith, and Portland sax player (and a great bandleader in his own right) Pete Petersen, with me leading the band, playing the piano and writing all the musical arrangements.

The beautiful oil painting on the CD cover and the delightful t-shirt design are by Seattle artist Brecca Smith.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy it!

Solomon

nightowl

#2 Post by nightowl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:34 pm

This CD is really quite good. Glad I picked up a copy. Not just the standard fare, there is some really well thought out selections and some real emotion in the music on here. Well done :)

http://www.DansDanceRevolution.com

dogpossum

#3 Post by dogpossum » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm enjoying the CD, Sol. I haven't DJed it for dancers yet (as it only arrived yesterday), but it's the sort of stuff I like to have on hand for 'safety songs' - stuff that I know will work with all sorts of crowds.
I especially like that it's live - live recordings are alway so much fun, esp if they're recorded with a crowd of dancers. It's also pretty neat to see dancers' 'favourites' recorded and available in good quality recordings that I can play on any sort of sound system. Phew.

zipthebird

#4 Post by zipthebird » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Ditto on the live album aspect of this album. It gives the album a great energy, which makes me really eager to DJ these tracks at a dance. I also really appreciate the wide range of selections--the band plays fresh arrangements of tunes from 1927 all the way through the 1960's.

Bravo Solomon! (More comments here.)

Meredith

#5 Post by Meredith » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm also in agreement with the live aspect of the CD as well as the diversification of the music selections. I moved and am dj'ing in a new scene and this CD gives me a variety of songs to work with out here. The arrangements are great and the CD has a good energy to it overall.

Platypus

#6 Post by Platypus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:32 am

I played "Splanky" last Saturday night, the floor was filled, so I am calling it a success.