Happy birthday Duke Ellington, 110!

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

J-h:n

Happy birthday Duke Ellington, 110!

#1 Post by J-h:n » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:23 am

Today, April 29, Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington would have been 110. We'll have a celebration tonight (possibly playing Take the "A" Train back to back with B-side The Sidewalks of New York). How about you?

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 pm

i'm dj'ing tonight at one of our weekly dances, and i am going to try to play all duke-ish tracks: either composed by him, performed by his orchestra, or performed by one of his sideman's small groups. i'll post a play list if it goes well. :o)

i'll probably cheat and play "shiny stockings" for frankie, though.

lipi

#3 Post by lipi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:06 pm

the evening was a resounding success, so here's the playlist. with the exception of two tracks (a shim-sham for frankie, and a specific request for "darktown strutters' ball") these are all either performed by duke or a small unit from his orchestra, or composed by duke. (i think...please correct me if i messed up!)

i tried to play things from across duke's career, but i was limited by what i own. i was very surprised at how well some of these went over. only one track fell flat, i think: "it don't mean a thing". i don't really know why i played it, because i didn't even think it was that good a dance track to begin with.

thanks for all the suggestions in the duke threads on this board. couldn't have done it without.

Duke Ellington, Perdido - Take 2, 1942, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington Orchestra & Count Basie Orchestra, Blues in Hoss' Flat (Blues in Frankie's Flat), 1961, The Count Meets the Duke; First Time!
Ella Fitzgerald, Bli-Blip, 1957, The Duke Ellington Song Book
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington, In a Mellow Tone, 1961, The Great Summit
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington, I'm Beginning to See the Light, 1961, The Great Summit
Duke Ellington Small Bands, Kentucky Avenue, A.C., 1967, The Intimacy of the Blues
Duke Ellington, The Sidewalks of New York, 1941, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington, Take the "A" Train, 1941, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Ella Fitzgerald, Lullaby of Birdland, 1966, The Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington Côte d'Azur Concerts on Verve
Duke Ellington, Flaming Youth - Take 1, 1929, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington, Shout 'Em Aunt Tillie, 1930, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, 1962, Duke Ellington: The Reprise Studio Recordings
Lincoln Centre Jazz Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis, C Jam Blues, 1998, Live in Swing City: Swingin' with Duke
Mora's Modern Swingtet, Krum Elbow Blues, 2004, 20th Century Closet
Ella Fitzgerald, Mack the Knife, 1966, The Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington Côte d'Azur Concerts on Verve
Duke Ellington & His Orchestra, Tuxedo Junction, 1962, Recollections of the Big Band Era
Duke Ellington Orchestra & Count Basie Orchestra, Corner Pocket (Until I Met You), 1961, The Count Meets the Duke; First Time!
Jimmie Lunceford, 't Ain't What You Do, 1939, Lunceford Special 1939-40
Alberta Hunter, The Darktown Strutters' Ball, 1978, Amtrak Blues
Duke Ellington, It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing), 1946, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington, Things Ain't What They Used to Be, 1966, The Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington Côte d'Azur Concerts on Verve
Ella Fitzgerald & The Duke Ellington Orchestra, On the Sunny Side of the Street, 1967, The Concert Years
Rex Stewart and His 52nd Street Stompers, The Back Room Romp (A Contrapuntal Stomp), 1937, Duke Ellington: The Complete 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington, Drop Me Off in Harlem, 1961, The Great Summit
Duke Ellington, Doin' the Voom Voom - Take 2, 1929, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington, Harlem Twist (East St. Louis Toodle-Oo), 1928, The OKeh Ellington
Duke Ellington, Jump for Joy - Take 1, 1941, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington, The Minor Goes Muggin', 1946, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Cootie Williams and His Rug Cutters, Jubilesta, 1937, Duke Ellington: The Complete 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions
Duke Ellington & His Orchestra, Christopher Columbus, 1962, Recollections of the Big Band Era
Count Basie, I'm Beginning to See the Light (stereo take), 1956, Complete Clef/Verve Count Basie Fifties Studio Recordings
Duke Ellington, Jack the Bear, 1940, The Blanton-Webster Band
Duke Ellington, Rockin' in Rhythm, 1930, The Okeh Ellington
Duke Ellington, Cotton Tail, 1940, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington, The Mooche, 1928, The OKeh Ellington
Duke Ellington, Wings and Things, 1966, Soul Call
Duke Ellington, Midriff, 1946, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington, Got Everything But You, 1928, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Charlie Barnet and his Orchestra, The Gal from Joe's, 1939, Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie
Duke Ellington, Saturday Night Function, 1929, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington, Bojangles (unauthorized), 1940, The Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings
Duke Ellington & His Orchestra, For Dancers Only, 1962, Recollections of the Big Band Era
Duke Ellington, Diminuendo in Blue and Crescendo in Blue (Live), 1956, Ellington at Newport

one couple danced through all of dim & cresc, the rest of us formed a little jazz step jam circle. a good night. upon leaving, someone suggested we should do "all duke, all the time".

so. any more duke playlists?